Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with hand quilting? >

Help with hand quilting?

Help with hand quilting?

Old 10-15-2008, 06:48 PM
Banned

Okay, I was making a practice piece, to see which I want to do, when I do an actual quilt(just 2 pieces of fabric and batting) and the stiches look sort of good on the top(they aren't straight) but they look horrible on the bottom, they are all crooked. I was pulling the thread pretty tight, so maybe it's too tight or something? :?
Or should I just rip out my stitches and machine quilt?
Thanks
Emily
Old 10-15-2008, 07:00 PM

Are you rocking your needle, putting several stitches on your needle before pulling it through? Or are you stab stitching? I would look up some hand quilting videos and watch how they do it. If this is a practice piece I wouldnt rip them out, just keep practicing!
Old 10-16-2008, 02:32 AM

Emily, be sure to check the type of needle you are quilting with. The very first time I tried to hand quilt my bottom stitches were horrible and I never tried again for years.

I can now say that I love hand quilting since I discovered that the stab method is not the right way to do it except in certain situations and that using the correct size needle is important also.

Make sure you don't have the quilt too tight in your frame. Leave it a little loose so that you can use your finger on the bottom side to raise and lower the fabric as you rock the needle to make your stitches. I use a size 9 or 10 Between needle for hand quilting.

Hope that helps and it made sense,

Linda D.
Old 10-16-2008, 03:21 AM

it takes time to really perfect hand quilting. Give yourself lots of time and patience. I wouldn't suggest rocking and putting too many stitches on your needle for the first time. I remember my first time hand quilting I could only do one or two stitches at once. I still prefer only doing one to two stitches, but the stitches improve with time both on top and bottom. I LOVE hand quilting now!
Old 10-16-2008, 04:41 AM

You could check out http://thimblelady.com/demo-video.html

I actually bought her hand quilting and hand applique books. I like her method of hand-quilting. No stabbed, sore fingers. I can quilt for a long time doing it this way.

Old 10-16-2008, 07:30 AM

bebe posted this link not too long ago...maybe it will be helpful to you, too. I reviewed it because it's been a while since I've hand quilted. My current project is taking a long time and I'm worried that by the time I get to quilting it, I'll be out of practice....I figure by the time i'm done I'll know what I'm doing again LOL.

http://video.about.com/quilting/Hand...Techniques.htm
Old 10-16-2008, 07:37 AM

Donna Rae started the following thread and I remember finding it very useful. I have it saved in my bookmarks.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/7199.page

I hope that this helps. Happy Sewing!!
Old 10-16-2008, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Kara
Kara, there was just a picture when I downloaded it. there are movies available for free on youtube to help you.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by retrogirl02
Originally Posted by Kara
Kara, there was just a picture when I downloaded it. there are movies available for free on youtube to help you.
Sorry, must be a vista thing or something. I tried it again and saw it. I think it's a demo of a special thimble but does show the rocking technique. Bebe's link has sound and goes through far more of the process.
Thanks.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:05 AM

Hi,

I would say to use a larger between. I have been handquilting for about 20 years, and still use a 7 between. I struggled for years with a 10 or even a 12, but found the 7... It brought me back to handquilting and I still can get 8 stitches to the inch.

Use a gentle rocking motion-up, down, right back up, down, right back up, across the length of the design. It takes lots of practice but you can do it. It is something that helps me to relax in the evening. I don't use hoops; I prefer to heavily baste the quilt sandwich and the sit with the quilt in my lap.

Hope this helps.

Anita