Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Help! Help! Help!

I used a mechanical lead pencil to mark a light pink and cream colored quilt for my grand-daughter. After washing in the machine with Oxyclean none of the marks came out. I ended up putting it in the kitchen sink and scrubbing the marks out with an old tooth brush. Not that I am recommending this method, although it did work, just commiserating with you. I don't think all is lost for your quilt though. Good luck.

Awesome cleaner from Walmart takes a lot of thing out.

I definitely would contact Fons and Porter. That is terrible. I hope it comes out.
    Kathy

Blog Entries
    when you "wash" your quilt markings out always use only water the first time. no detergent. that sometimes sets them.
    i got out old pencil marks by soaking my quilt in Oxyclean and rubbing the marks too while wet.
    when i used some green felt tip crayola markers it took me six washings to remove those! good luck.

Try soaking in non-chlorine bleach.

I read some where that you should wash in cold water with oxyclean - no detergent. I think that I would soak for awhile in cold water and oxyclean. Good Luck!
    Linda

I did the same thing a couple of years ago. The Fons and Porter graphite pen may be "washable," but it doesn't come out. I ended up embroidering over the lines.

If all else fails, try Clorax Stain Buster and Color Booster. It will not bleach the colors and I have found it removes anything I have tried it on. It will be labor intensive, but better than ruining the quilt. I dampen the stained item and put the Stain Buster/Color Booster directly on the stain, let it sit for 10-15 mins., then wash. My GGD has written on her shirts/pants with everything that can make a mark plus all the pizza sauce, etc. that she spills on herself.

I'd try the eraser as graphite sounds like a pencil.

Don't know about the pencil that you mention but try this on a scrap.
    Mix 3 parts rubbing alcohol, 1 part water and a generous squirt of CLEAR dish detergent. Saturate a cotton ball with the solution and dab this on the pencil lines. When dry, the pencil lines should be gone. This works on marks from a traditional pencil.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast