Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help!  Hemming Georgette >

Help! Hemming Georgette

Help! Hemming Georgette

Old 07-03-2011, 12:57 PM

I am mostly a lurker but now I need some advice. I recently purchased an evening pants outfit to wear to a wedding next weekend. The pants are 4 inches too long. Although I am an expereinced sewer, I have never sewn on georgette so am very apprehensive about cutting and hemming the pants. Are there tricks I should know about georgette? I think it might ravel - if so what to do etc. Should I hand stich the hem or can I machine stitch it? etc.
Thank you for any advice you can give me.
Old 07-03-2011, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by blackberryhill1
I am mostly a lurker but now I need some advice. I recently purchased an evening pants outfit to wear to a wedding next weekend. The pants are 4 inches too long. Although I am an expereinced sewer, I have never sewn on georgette so am very apprehensive about cutting and hemming the pants. Are there tricks I should know about georgette? I think it might ravel - if so what to do etc. Should I hand stich the hem or can I machine stitch it? etc.
Thank you for any advice you can give me.
You can hem gorgette on the machine- if you have a hemmer foot, it will do it all in one step. If you don't, I would turn under a 1/8" to 1/4" on the machine, then do a very small hem by hand. If you have time, it will be very pretty like that. If you are running out of time, you can probably do it by machine, as long as you have matching thread. You could do a running stitch or a very small zigzag along the edge before you turn it under.
Old 07-03-2011, 02:21 PM

Be sure to have all raw edges completely enclosed or it will be a major headache to trim the strings the first time you wash them.

I bought a nice dress with the bottom ruffle of georgette or something similar. Apparently the hem of the ruffle was not stitched carefully enough and I had to give it a good 'haircut' after washing it. Now I need to redo that hem so it doesn't continue to be a problem.
Old 07-03-2011, 03:14 PM

You might practice on the part you cut off first to see how it handles and then you will be a pro on the pants. Good luck...
Old 07-03-2011, 04:38 PM

I use my serger on these kinds of fabrics. If no serger, a careful rolled hem would be the way to go.
Old 07-03-2011, 04:48 PM
Power Poster

I would hand stitch, rolling the hem would work well.
Old 07-03-2011, 04:49 PM

I found this information on the internet because frankly, I wasn't sure what "Georgette" was. After reading this, I would make a mad dash for the nearest tailor instead of trying to hem the pants myself. I'm pretty good quilter, but this stuff sounds scary...

Bridal gowns, evening dresses, and other formal wear are sometimes made with georgette fabric. It may also be used to make jackets and shirts, usually for women. The fabric can be left plain, or decorations such as embroidery and beading may be added. Decorations are usually kept simple so that they do not drag the fabric down and pull the garment out of shape. High load seams may be doubled to ensure that the fabric does not unravel.

Because georgette fabric is textured and slightly slippery, it can be difficult to sew. Interweaving tissue paper or something similar can help to keep pieces of the fabric together while they are worked on, and pins should be used with caution since georgette fabric can show pin holes. As a general rule, georgette fabric can be hand washed in cold water with mild detergent and hung to dry, although it should be kept out of the sun to avoid fading. In some cases, dry cleaning may be necessary; always check product tags to make sure that you care for the garment as the manufacturer recommends.
Old 07-03-2011, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by dinlauren
You might practice on the part you cut off first to see how it handles and then you will be a pro on the pants. Good luck...
Great idea!
Old 07-03-2011, 05:02 PM

Wedding is July 9 and just purchased outfit this past week.
I called several local tailors/seamstresses but not enough time for them to do it - that's why I must tackle the job.
Old 07-03-2011, 05:23 PM

You might try stabilizing the edge with fray-check or a light interfacing before working with it.