Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help? How to cut out snowflakes? >

Help? How to cut out snowflakes?

Help? How to cut out snowflakes?

Old 03-07-2013, 04:15 PM

Default Help? How to cut out snowflakes?

Hello all... My sweet DIL has chosen a quilt with 8" blocks with a 6" snowflake appliqued to each block. The sample has each snowflake stitched with a blanket stitch. The sample was made using wools, but I'm using high-grade flannels (which are turning out difficult to find in the colors she has chosen!)! The snowflake pattern is included (its from a magazine), and I assume I'm to copy it? The instructions assume that the quiltmaker knows what to do here... so.. my question, should I copy it, cut it out and pin it to the fabric and cut from that? Should I copy the pattern onto freezer paper and adhere it to the fabric? Or, should I use some soft "steam-a-seam" stuff... sigh... I can't even speak the language... please forgive??
Um, HELP?????? Thank you!!!! And please let me know if I've even given enough information for you??
Old 03-07-2013, 04:26 PM
Power Poster

I would try the steam a seam on a scrap of fabric. Sometimes flannel does not do well with fuseables (it tends to flatten the nap). Trying to cut out snowflakes from flannel without any stabilizer would be difficult since flannel tends to stretch.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:44 PM

Would reverse applique work for this?
Old 03-07-2013, 05:18 PM

Just curious, was this the snowflake quilt from the Quilts and More winter issue?

Now, are you making a bed quilt that she can wash? You can use steam a seam or a similar product (wonder under, heat and bond - all do the same thing)...but remember the edges are unfinished for fusible applique.

What I would do is trace the shapes onto freezer paper (as many as you need to complete the quilt). Then press onto the flannel, shiny side down, on a low setting with your iron. Cut out the shapes adding 1/4 " all the way around. With the freezer paper still attached I like to press the edges under. Sometimes I use glue sticks to hold the edges down. Then I machine blanket stitch around the shapes. I like to cut away the excess fabric under applique, so when doing that you will be able to remove the freezer paper.

Does that help at all?? I hope so! Good luck!!

Edited to add: You can copy the pattern directly from the magazine, or trace it onto another sheet of paper...which is what I normally do!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-08-2013 at 04:37 AM. Reason: remove advertising
Old 03-07-2013, 06:29 PM
Power Poster

If you're doing raw edge applique, just be aware that flannel tends to fray a lot, while the wool that the pattern calls for is probably felted and won't fray.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:27 PM

Dunster, I hadn't thought of that... will probably follow PumpkinPatchQuilter's process and turn the edges under... I will look into the reverse applique, too, cjsews... I'll let you know! The wool might have been a smarter choice... well, I'll make a test block or two and let you know!! I'm getting to go for a week of quilting, yes, a WEEK!! I'll have time to play with this...Joyce888, I'll definitely test this before making more than one block!!
Thank you, everyone!!!
Old 03-07-2013, 08:31 PM

PumpkinPatchQuilter, I pulled it from a December 2006 McCall's Quilting. A few years ago, I went through all, well, MOST of the magazines and pulled out the patterns I really liked, and then passed the magazines on to friends... I've had the pattern all this time! My sweet DIL chose this as the quilt she wants!
Old 03-08-2013, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by running1 View Post
PumpkinPatchQuilter, I pulled it from a December 2006 McCall's Quilting. A few years ago, I went through all, well, MOST of the magazines and pulled out the patterns I really liked, and then passed the magazines on to friends... I've had the pattern all this time! My sweet DIL chose this as the quilt she wants!
Well, it sounds like it's going to be a really cozy sweet quilt! I hope you'll post pictures!! If you need any more help you're welcome to pm me!
Old 03-08-2013, 05:16 AM

PumpkinPatchQuilter... thank you!! I've written your instructions on the pattern I'm taking on our retreat. I thought I had freezer paper, but couldn't find it last night, so that's on the to-do list today. Thanks again!!
Old 03-08-2013, 05:48 AM
IQ2

I haven't tried it, but someone told me she cuts freezer paper the size of printer paper and runs it through the copy machine so that the pattern can be duplicated as many times as you need without having to trace it.