Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Help how do I bind a round quilt

Hi everyone,
    I made a round runner with a Phillips art design. This is made with a 10 degree wedge and now I'm trying to decide how to finish it. Should I sew the backing, batting and main piece together and turn it, or try to add a binding? Has anyone had experience with binding a round quilt?

Cyn
    Blog Entries
    I haven't done this but I am sure it the binding must be bias cut and eased it. I've sewn clothing with circles so this is my best bet. I will watch to see what folks say :)

MTS
    Banned
    If you use bias binding, it's the exact same method as binding a square quilt.

If you don't use bias binding, you will not be a happy camper. ;)

Personally, I think it's a more finished look for a quilt, especially with a sophisticated design like the one created with the wedges.

And if you're unsure, just make a small half circle quilt sandwich from scraps and try to attach a piece of (bias) binding to it.

I did a quilted tree skirt and just bound per normal methods: attach folded fabric to the back, then flip and sew down on the front. Where it joins I always leave a tail when I start then cut and join and stitch down on the first step.

Quote Originally Posted by MTS

If you don't use bias binding, you will be not be a happy camper. ;)

Personally, I think it's a more finished look for a quilt, especially with a sophisticated design like the one created with the wedges.

And if you're unsure, just make a small half circle quilt sandwich from scraps and try to attach a piece of (bias) binding to it.
    Exactly. Same procedure for scallops. You won't have any trouble on the curve with a bias binding. :)

MTS
    Banned
    I forgot to mention this -

NO mitered corners to deal with, so it's actually less of a process than square quilts!

Quote Originally Posted by MTS

If you don't use bias binding, you will be not be a happy camper. ;)

I did not use bias on a small single Dresden table topper and it does cup a tiny bit. I thought I could get away with using what was a fairly stretchy cotton. It doesn't look too bad but I will use bias next time :-)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks to everyone, I will give it a try!
    Sandy