Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help - How do I Make it Hang Flat?

Help - How do I Make it Hang Flat?

I recently finished a 32" square wallhanging and am very pleased with it. However, when it hangs, it becomes all wavy, not flat. The center areas are more heavily machine quilted (with mini squiggles) than the borders. I wanted less quilting there, so the fabric design shows more clearly. I laid it on the carpet overnight with a light masonite panel on it and it looked good, but after hanging a few days, it's all wonky again. Is there any alternative besides adding more quilting to the less quilted areas? I don't want to do any heavy pressing as that would spoil the pop of the quilting.

Make half square triangles in the bottom two corners on the back, then go to the hardware store and buy a wooden yardstick and cut it to the size of your back and slip it in the half square triangles. That is one way to help keep its shape, or make four half square triangles, one for each corner and make a frame for it on the back.

Wow, great idea Handsraftsbyjen.
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down the their level and beat you with experience.

The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Handcraftsbyjen View Post
    Make half square triangles in the bottom two corners on the back, then go to the hardware store and buy a wooden yardstick and cut it to the size of your back and slip it in the half square triangles. That is one way to help keep its shape, or make four half square triangles, one for each corner and make a frame for it on the back.

Definitely an idea I will use. Thanks
    Quilting in the Desert

We had a speaker at our quilt guild last night that talked about that exact thing. She said it was caused by uneven quilting, like you mentioned - dense quilting in the middle and less in the borders.

Power Poster
    Okay, bear with me as I try to describe a frame I made for a little wall hanging that had a corner that wanted to waved in the breeze. I put the triangle corners on all 4 corners as suggested by Jen. I then measured and cut 4 1/4 inch dowels to the exact lenth and width of the wallhanging. You could just shave the dowel ends to fit the triangles but I had a little trick that I used to kind of make a dowel frame. I had saved the little connector tubes that come with the bracelets that light up for concerts. They have a little accordian pleating in the center that allows them to bend (kind of like bendy straws) They were the perfect size to connect up the dowels and go into the corners for a frame behind the wallhanging. I don't know if it would work on a 32 inch wallhaging but it sure fixed my little one.

Blog Entries
    When you make your next wall hanging, use a batting that has a scrim layer. As long as you layer it with the scrim facing the backing, it should help maintain flatness.
    Last edited by DawnMarie; 03-17-2012 at 02:27 AM.
    "A day patched with quilting seldom unravels."
    http://signatures.mylivesignature.co...C092AD2FC3.png

Blog Entries
    Such wonderful ideas- I'll have to remember these too for the future - I am yet to make a wallhanging - but want to - and I'm sure it will help LynnVT also - good luck to you!
    JO

Great ideas. I have a wall hanging which is also quilted more heavily in the middle. Now I know what to do.
    Beth in Maryland

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast