Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help! How Do I Use Retayne With The New HE Washers? >

Help! How Do I Use Retayne With The New HE Washers?

Help! How Do I Use Retayne With The New HE Washers?

Old 03-28-2012, 05:23 PM
Power Poster

I have the new top loader with no agitation, just swishes and rotates. It has many levels of fill including Super which fills it full enough to submerge most fabric I need to soak. If I need more fill water I just add more by filling a pots of water and dumping it in the washer.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
I don't think I would use a metal pot, but maybe boil the water, then put into a plastic wash tub and add the retayne, check the temp and add the fabric!
A stainless steel pot is the best method if you can't use your washer. .. Plastic has a low melting/reacting point . Even house hold PVC is not rated for water over 140 degrees., for anyting longer than a few minutes.
A stainless sink should be Ok if you have the good stainless , not all stainless is the same ... if a magnet does NOT stick it is a better grade of stainless. It the cheap stainless that a magnet will stick to. Better grade stainless has a higher nickel content ... and a magnet will not stick to nickel. The good stainless is used in many industrial applications because it does not react with most chemicals. Since the Retayne is shipped in plastic and not glass or stainless its not very reactive.
So if you ever wondered about our pins that corode its because they use cheap stainless so we can use our magentic pin cushions.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:23 PM
Power Poster

My front loader has been just fine for over 6 years -- never any mold issues. However, mine were made in Germany, I think (Asko brand). I've heard LG seems to be really good too.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
why do people keep buying those washers and dryers? i keep hearing they are nothing but trouble. mildew or mold, etc. I certainly hope they keep on making the top load ones if i ever need new ones.
Mine i the top load version. DH manages a Rent A Center and those front loaders were constantly going back for service. So when we needed a new set, he bought the HE top loaders and we haven't had any problems in almost 2 years...knock on wood.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:37 PM

Can you call the company that makes it to see what they suggest?

why do people keep buying those washers and dryers? i keep hearing they are nothing but trouble. mildew or mold, etc. I certainly hope they keep on making the top load ones if i ever need new ones.
I have to agree with you there. Thanks Thimble for the info. I might be concerned if I used it all the time but since I have had the same bottle for at least 5 years I won't worry. It saved me from having to redo a tapestry chair. Someone spoiled food on it and I washed the cushion cover. Gasp! Did it ruuuuun.

piney
Old 12-03-2022, 08:47 AM

I used retayne in my front loader and it worked just fine. I added the amount called for with no detergent and ran a full cycle and it worked great. I put in some white undies that I didn't care if they got dyed to see how it worked and the undies came out white. Those were batiks I did so they usually bleed bad.
Lynda
Old 12-04-2022, 04:59 AM

My sister lives in CA, she's been buying Retayne for years in CA. She makes Tie dye T-shirts and has never had a problem with it. She uses a large laundry tub in her garage, uses a lot of water and it's very hot but I'm not sure it's 140 degrees. All I know is that it works and she's been selling the t-shirts for years.
Old 12-04-2022, 06:21 AM

I have an HE toploader washing machine and it has the option of doing a "deep wash". Actually, it has several different preprogramed cycles that I can select and in most of those preset cycles, I have the option of changing some things like temperature, spin speed, and adding the "deep wash" setting where it does fill up the tub more. There is also an option to create a "My Cycle" that the machine will remember. It also has a huge basket where I have to stand on my tippy toes to reach the bottom and spin the tub towards me to grab that last sock out. The matching dryer is also huge, and both take less than an hour to wash or dry a large load. One drawback, if I place a small load in the dryer, the dryer sense bar will not sense right and will turn off the dryer thinking everything is dry, so I have to use the timer cycle when I dry a small load. Basically, I do like them but don't use most of the cycles. The pair does handle large quilts well.
Old 12-04-2022, 11:28 AM

I keep buying "those" washers because I really, really like them!
Old 12-04-2022, 12:04 PM
mkc

Spammer reported. Do NOT click the links in AtabEmerb's post above.