Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help - I can't decide... >

Help - I can't decide...

Help - I can't decide...

Old 03-04-2011, 05:59 AM

I'm make a quilt for my nephew who just finished Airforce bootcamp. Since he is stationed in Mississippi he said it gets hot there so not a real heavy quilt.

Here's the question, I have the top done and can't decide on a batting. I absolutely hate to machine quilt, but I will for this one because it needs to be sturdy. What would you all recommend for a batting that won't require a lot of close quilting? Quilters Dream Puff can be done every 10", but I think the poly would be too warm for him. I looked at Warm and Natural but am unsure if it would hold up to wide quilting? Alternatively I wonder if flannel would be heavy enough as a filling?
Old 03-04-2011, 06:02 AM

I used to use flannel when I first started quilting. It is lightweight and I didn't have to quilt too closely together. I still have some of those quilts and they seem fine. Good Luck! And congrats to your nephew. :)
Old 03-04-2011, 06:02 AM

What about a sheet or two of flannel??
Old 03-04-2011, 06:03 AM

We use warm and natural here. Hubby is very hot natured and it is the perfect weight for him. We are in Texas and it gets pretty warm here. I have gone as wide as 12" with the quilting just sid and it held up fine.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:12 AM

When my son was stationed in Yuma, AZ, I made his quilt with no batting. It was made with polished decorator cottons, so it was a little heavier than quilting cotton. I think flannel would be fine. Just be sure to preshrink it well. On the other hand, everything there is likely to be to have AC, so a thin batting wouldn't be too much. I don't know which ones can have less quilting.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by cowpie2
I'm make a quilt for my nephew who just finished Airforce bootcamp. Since he is stationed in Mississippi he said it gets hot there so not a real heavy quilt. I wonder if flannel would be heavy enough as a filling?
I use flannel alot but make sure it's well washed in hot and dried in the dryer. You won't get much dimension with the quilting but it will be light weight. Congrats to your nephew.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:55 AM

I think flannel is going to be a good option. Thinking about it, as a piece of fabric the amount of quilting won't be important. Just enough to hold the layers together. Will definitely pre-shrink as I've read alot on this board about how much flannel will shrink.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:58 AM
Power Poster

I would use warm and natural, it is cotton and you can quilt it 10 inches apart and it holds up wonderfully. We live in socal and use our quilt yr around. He can always lay on it.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:39 AM

Just because he is in Mississippi now doesn't mean he won't be moved around. All my service friends have moved a lot.

I'd use Warm & Natural.

ali