Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help! I don't have a BiRangle Ruler. >

Help! I don't have a BiRangle Ruler.

Help! I don't have a BiRangle Ruler.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:17 PM

So I'm making a quilt from the Joy of Quilting Book, and I got all the fabric and started cutting according to the directions. Suddenly, the directions say: follow the directions for conquering half-rectangle units on pp. 162-66, so I go to those pages and it says: place the BiRangle ruler with the diagonal line on the fold. I don't have such a ruler. Can someone tell me what angle that ruler is oriented at, and can I simply cut at that angle and be OK? I need to cut 10 left-angled and 10 right-angled rectangles that will have a final size of 2"x3 1/2". Do you think I should just do the math and figure out how to cut them individually?
Old 01-07-2010, 07:23 PM
Power Poster

According to this site, the BiRangle ruler is made to help you with rectangles that are twice as long as they are wide. They show a picture of one. Hopefully that will help.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:56 PM
Power Poster

Yikes. Another quilting tool. Is this one worth the money I wonder.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:22 PM
Power Poster

I would just cut a rectangle that is 2"x3 1/2" and cut it on the diagonal, if your layers are facing opposite then you will get opposite facing triangles.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by littlehud
Can't say for sure...have one, haven't used it. The quick rundown is cut bias strips to piece in pairs...then place ruler on strip set by lining up diagonal line on BiRangle over seam line of strip set...rotary cut around 2 sides and rotate ruler to cut around remaining 2 sides. So like squaring up a hst. There is a slight offset...if you have a set of TriRecs look at the skinny one of the two rulers...it could do the same thing, I think. Haven't used either, truthfully, but wish I had before I made so many blocks that would have worked better with either one...it's that little offset/tipclip that makes it so much easier to keep it true. If there's a method that gets me to the right size, I'll use whichever one is the easiest to attain accuracy...if it means another ruler, well, it might be worth it to avoid the aggravation/frustration of frog stitchin'.
Old 01-08-2010, 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by cutebuns
I would just cut a rectangle that is 2"x3 1/2" and cut it on the diagonal, if your layers are facing opposite then you will get opposite facing triangles.
Woudn't she need to figure in a bit more for seam allowance like on half square triangles? I think you add 7/8 for those.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:16 AM

I do have the bi-angle ruler and it is nice but you could use your regular ruler to do the same as I have when I was with my quilting group and adid not have that particular ruler with me.
Old 08-08-2010, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by carol45
So I'm making a quilt from the Joy of Quilting Book, and I got all the fabric and started cutting according to the directions. Suddenly, the directions say: follow the directions for conquering half-rectangle units on pp. 162-66, so I go to those pages and it says: place the BiRangle ruler with the diagonal line on the fold. I don't have such a ruler. Can someone tell me what angle that ruler is oriented at, and can I simply cut at that angle and be OK? I need to cut 10 left-angled and 10 right-angled rectangles that will have a final size of 2"x3 1/2". Do you think I should just do the math and figure out how to cut them individually?
I am also looking for the BiRangle ruler....have been online almost an hour with no luck.

:thumbdown:
Old 08-08-2010, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by mic-pa
I do have the bi-angle ruler and it is nice but you could use your regular ruler to do the same as I have when I was with my quilting group and adid not have that particular ruler with me.
OK! WoW!! Where did you buy the BiRangle ruler?? and is yours for sale? Bidding War starting right now!!! ;)
Old 08-08-2010, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Bobbinwinder
Originally Posted by littlehud
Can't say for sure...have one, haven't used it. The quick rundown is cut bias strips to piece in pairs...then place ruler on strip set by lining up diagonal line on BiRangle over seam line of strip set...rotary cut around 2 sides and rotate ruler to cut around remaining 2 sides. So like squaring up a hst. There is a slight offset...if you have a set of TriRecs look at the skinny one of the two rulers...it could do the same thing, I think. Haven't used either, truthfully, but wish I had before I made so many blocks that would have worked better with either one...it's that little offset/tipclip that makes it so much easier to keep it true. If there's a method that gets me to the right size, I'll use whichever one is the easiest to attain accuracy...if it means another ruler, well, it might be worth it to avoid the aggravation/frustration of frog stitchin'.
Please, if you locate a BiRangle ruler would you please post the link? Thanks