Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help - I got the wrong kind of Heat n Bond >

Help - I got the wrong kind of Heat n Bond

Help - I got the wrong kind of Heat n Bond

Old 10-23-2010, 04:13 PM

That might work, better than poking holes in my fingers! btw have some extra of the heavy duty stuff if anyone wants it, have resisted the urge to burn it in my driveway...haha
Old 10-23-2010, 08:01 PM

The heavy duty is what you use for unsewn iron-on, also called "raw edge applique". I have had designs on sweatshirts last several years of washings without much fraying. I have also zigzagged over the edge of a picture, one side of stitch in the unbonded fabric, and found that greatly reduced the frequency of needle cleaning.
Old 10-24-2010, 03:00 AM

You can machine sew with it on the back but have a cotton ball with kitchen grade oil (veg/soy/canola )and wipe your needle every so often to get the glue off of it.
Old 10-24-2010, 03:09 AM
Power Poster

i found if i have a gauze pad with baby oil, or sewing machine oil on it this can be used to wipe the *gunk* from the needle that builds up while sewing...it is hard to stitch through but lots easier with the machine than with a hand needle. it also stays pretty stiff in the finished project, but it's not the end of the world. the t-s will really hold up now with the heavy interfacing :)
it makes it a little more difficult to complete, but is still totally do-able.
Old 10-24-2010, 03:09 AM

I have made two tee shirt quilts, one was patch work, the other machine appliqued. Used the thin interfacing on the patchwork top and heavier on the appliqued one. This one had all different sizes of emblems to use so I couldn't make a uniform patch. Ironed them onto a background and did the blind stitch around the edges in matching thread. I think acetone, fingernail polish on a piece of an old sock or a cotton ball would take the sticky stuff off your needle. Have some spares on hand and clean them up after you get several gunky. The heavier backing willonly make the quilt stiffer and it too willsoften up with use. I wouldn't even try to remove it, just go for it and get it done. Carol J.

Carol J.
Old 10-24-2010, 03:11 AM

Should have said, fingernail polish remover in the above message, sorry about that.

Carol J.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:07 AM

I have a few friends that make lots of t-shirt quilts and I've made a couple myself. I really don't think you should be using heat and bond. You should probably using a really light weight iron-on interfacing that you would use when sewing garments. The idea is just to keep the t-shirt from stretching. Buy a small piece of interfacing and try it on some of the t-shirt scraps; I think you'll find that it's much softer in the quilts and MUCH easier to quilt.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:25 AM

Thanks again ladies for all the wonderful suggestions - may try one more time to sew it by machine with lots of gunk remover close by - if not will just do by hand.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by KellyS
I'm making a tshirt quilt for my son and had been doing fine with the lighter weight product. Saw the heavier weight was less expensive per yard so got that - now I have no idea how to remove it from the back of the shirts I used it on. Only later - too late - did I read don't sew by machine. Have been trying to hand sew it but am about to give up and start all over. Any ideas?
Contact the mfgr and ask if it can be removed with something, otherwise you may have to scrap the project. Definitely don't try stitching if the instructions say not to. I stitched thru some adhesive backed trim and spent hours cleaning the adhesive off the needle, bobbin case and internal parts.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:27 AM

There is a product called Un-Du that can be used - but can't find it anywhere local - may have to look online and pay for shipping?