Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help, I have never flown! >

Help, I have never flown!

Help, I have never flown!

Old 02-06-2012, 10:30 AM

Default Help, I have never flown!

I wanted to know what can I take on the plane to be able to sew, without getting it confiscated?
Old 02-06-2012, 10:33 AM

Do a google search for TSA Rules and Regulations. I believe you can have your needle and snips less than 4 inches.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:48 AM

I take a dental floss container to cut thread. Some airports take scissors, no matter how small. Have you seen the fold up scissors that look like a necklace? I haven't tried that yet.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:52 AM

Looks like Charlee's right. Here's the link: http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...ted-items.shtm
Old 02-06-2012, 10:59 AM

Try this site:
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...rial_1252.shtm

I fly alot for work. I use circular knitting needles and I sometimes carry small snips. I make SURE the blades are less than 3" just to be safe (less than 4" is required by TSA) . I try to leave the scissors in my checked bag and use a thread snip in my carry on - and I LOVE the idea of the dental floss container - thanks Lady Elisabeth!
Old 02-06-2012, 11:03 AM

I have flown with small scissors with rounded ends, with no problem.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:47 AM

I have found if you think an object is questionable, hand it to the TSA person and have them look at it. I accidently left a pair of sharp scissors with a blade longer than 4" in my carry on. I handed them to the TSA and said I understood if they had to take them. They thanked me for showing them the scissors and let me keep them and board the plane.
It just pays to me nice.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:57 AM

Check the TSA website mentioned above, they have the latest rules - I used to be able to fly with my little cutting wheels (blades in a metal sealed medallion, with notches in the edge so I could run thread again a tiny bit of exposed blade - can't remember what they are called). The last time I flew, they were no longer allowed but I could take a small pair of scissors - I printed out the list the day before I left and carried it with me just in case I met up with some cantankerous TSA screener who wanted to make my life miserable. Luckily that didn't happen, but just in case, I wanted to make sure I complied with the most current list of what I could and couldn't carry. BTW, they also allowed me to bring my knitting needles on board, but just to make sure, I took the plastic ones, not the metal ones and was well occupied all the way from Hartford to San Diego!
Old 02-07-2012, 08:10 AM

My dear friend is flying out in 5 days. She's taking her knitting needles and snips less than 4"..... Have fun!
Old 02-07-2012, 08:54 AM
Power Poster

If it's a short flight I would sit back and enjoy the ride. For longer trips I would check the regulations and bring a stamped self-addressed postal envelope with me in case something was not allowed. I could then mail it back to my home address rather than have it confiscated.