Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: help, i need another way to do this...

i've put together a bandana rag quilt and now it is time to snip all the lil areas to finish it. i snip for awhile then i have to stop due to it hurting my thumb with the scissors. it is 64 11x11 inch blocks so you can imagein the time i have to cut on this quilt. anyone have another easier way of doing this??

rag scissors - they're spring loaded and have rather small blades so cut out half the action of cutting with regular scissors. Got mine at Hobby Lobby, but think Wal-mart has some, too.

Edited to add: Ebay has some listed too. I paid around $15 for mine.

Quote Originally Posted by JanTx
    rag scissors - they're spring loaded and have rather small blades so cut out half the action of cutting with regular scissors. Got mine at Hobby Lobby, but think Wal-mart has some, too.
    Same here! But I got mine at JoAnn's.

There is a wonderful pair of snips that works great for this. You squeeze them like grips. I know Joanne's has them.

thank you so much, didnt know they had them. i will see if i can find some fast...

I originally bought mine for a rag quilt. They are really sharp and I find I use them a lot while quilting. They are small and very easy to use. A great investment!

Blog Entries
    Try these scissors by Heritage Cutlery. They are made just for cutting seams on rag quilts. They are very worth the money.

http://jhittlesewing.com/sewing/catalog.php Look under Heritage Cutlery for rag shears. Your hands will thank you!!

fiskar spring loaded 'nippers'
    also...i draft help...pass out scissors to anyone sitting down and we all spread them out among us and clip/clip/clip.
    also, i started doing some of the clipping as i go along...as in...
    if i am making rows 8 blocks long, i will sew a row together, stop and clip the side (joined seams) then make the next row, clip the side seams, attach the two rows, clip the joining row...and i keep going, by the time it is all put together i only have the last joined row and around the outside and it's done...doing it that way means i do not have hours of clipping to accomplish when i really want to get it into the washer!

yes, ty, that is a much better way than the way i did it with waiting until the last to clip all.

thank you all, i went to walmart here in my town last nite and no such snips, they took out the big craft dept and i hate that. so now i will have to travel about 30 minutes to Joann's, but i am sure it will not be unfruitful nor unjoyful...SHOP !!!!. :)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast