Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help - I sewed myself to my quilt with my machine! >

Help - I sewed myself to my quilt with my machine!

Help - I sewed myself to my quilt with my machine!

Old 11-27-2010, 12:19 PM

I was free motion quilting yesterday on my new Janome Horizon, and noticed dust on the clear plastic foot that I had on it, and decided to sweep it away with my right finger as I sewed. A terrible moment as the machine jarred and grrrd and I sewed right through the side of my finger. I managed to turn the machine off with my left hand by reaching across, all the time realising that the machine would just keep grinding away as the needle was out of alignment now and unless one instantly turns it off the needle will grind down and break off. I then wound the needle back up with the winder on the right hand end and removed it from my finger. Luckily it had missed the fingernail however it had driven the needle right through my finger and out the other side. Apart from feeling green for a while and stopping the bleeding I have survived.

The lesson of the story, it is just so easy to lose concentration for that one split second and do something utterly stupid like I did. Always turn your machine off before attempting to clean a foot, change a needle etc will now be my new motto!!!
Old 11-27-2010, 12:21 PM

ouch...gives me cold chills to think about it. Is it sore?
Old 11-27-2010, 12:21 PM

Ouch! I hope your finger heals quickly.
It's a very good reminder for all of us.
Thanks
Old 11-27-2010, 12:24 PM
Power Poster

Hope your finger heals quickly.

Good reminder - with ALL power tools (snowblowers, saws, cornpickers, vacuum cleaners, etc) - to turn off before doing adjusting, etc.
Old 11-27-2010, 12:29 PM
Power Poster

Hope you will be okay soon. I can feel your pain.
Old 11-27-2010, 12:31 PM

hope your finger heals quickly, sounds painfull, just reading about your experience
Old 11-27-2010, 12:33 PM

I am so sorry that happened! It happens in a split second too! I am glad you are going to be okay. Sit here on the couch by me and we will read the Quiltingboard. I will get the chocolates. Would you care for coffee? Tea?
Ask me why I am on the couch instead of sewing. Oh, it is not a large or deep cut. It is on the fatty part of my right thumb. I am right handed. Got it today when I was sharpening my rotary blade.
I will never again daydream while I have a rotary blade anywhere near me. !!!! I hate it when I do something like that. Yep, happens in a split second. The mind wanders, Ouch!!
Care for more coffee?
Old 11-27-2010, 12:33 PM

I am OK today - however it brings up two things, this machine has an finger control to sew with if you take the foot off the machine. I had the foot control on luckily. However having broken needles in machines before the machine does NOT do a automatic shutdown when there is a problem. I am presuming most machines do not automatically shut down when there is a problem. Am I correct in this asumption??? Perhaps manufacturers might care to look at this problem and address this issue if at all possible.
Old 11-27-2010, 12:39 PM
Power Poster

(((HUGS))) sorry to hear that this happened to you :(
Old 11-27-2010, 12:42 PM

I hope you're not too seriously injured! Thank you for sharing this valuable safety reminder. I hope everyone passes it on to someone they know outside QB!