Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HELP! I tried ironing waxed paper to fabric so I could print. Paper won't iron on!  what went wrong? >

HELP! I tried ironing waxed paper to fabric so I could print. Paper won't iron on! what went wrong?

HELP! I tried ironing waxed paper to fabric so I could print. Paper won't iron on! what went wrong?

Old 02-21-2007, 11:22 AM

Patrice,
You're our lab guru! You're no lab rat!!! :lol:

Have fun now!
Old 02-21-2007, 02:46 PM
Administrator

The Guru is stumped.

I cranked my iron up to the highest setting. I ironed with the fabric on top. I ironed with the fabric on bottom. I ironed with the fabric sandwiched between two pieces of waxed paper. I seriously considered ironing while facing west while standing on only one leg while the dog sang to the cat. (The cat wouldn't cooperate, the stubborn, stuck-up cuss.)

The parts of the paper that got hit with the heat do feel ever so slightly less waxy than the rest, but I can't see or feel any trace of wax on the fabric. It didn't even make my iron plate shiny.

I used Cut-Rite. I wonder what ButtercreamCakeArtist used ...

enquiring minds want to know ...
Old 02-21-2007, 02:47 PM
Administrator

The Guru is stumped.

I cranked my iron up to the highest setting. I ironed with the fabric on top. I ironed with the fabric on bottom. I ironed with the fabric sandwiched between two pieces of waxed paper. I seriously considered ironing while facing west while standing on only one leg while the dog sang to the cat. (The cat wouldn't cooperate, the stubborn, stuck-up cuss.)

The parts of the paper that got hit with the heat do feel ever so slightly less waxy than the rest, but I can't see or feel any trace of wax on the fabric. It didn't even make my iron plate shiny.

I used Cut-Rite. I wonder what ButtercreamCakeArtist used ...

enquiring minds want to know ...
Old 02-23-2007, 09:33 AM

ButtercreamCakeArtist used Cut Rite. I kept turning the paper over and over and over and ironing and ironing. I did that with about 3 pieces. :lol: I was trying to make it stick to the fabric! I feel like an :oops: :oops: idiot. Oh, well. I've been sick, and my head is just not right!

I got the freezer paper, but I haven't tried it yet, either. I wanted to get some of the Bubble Jet Set before I do. I'm afraid it would just be a waste of ink.

I'm glad I got all your minds ticking, too! :D
Old 02-23-2007, 10:01 AM
Administrator

i don't know why you feel like an idiot. it isn't as though somebody gave you the proper instructions then you ignored them. you were brave enough to experiment, then SMART enough to ask when you didn't get the result you hoped for. you should see the results of some of the things i've tried over the years. LOL

i can't speak for anybody else but the only things I've known how to do from birth are eat, sleep, process and expel the results of eating, and cry. the rest has been learned over time.

go to Dharma.com for your BJS. while you're there, get a bottle of either Retayne or Dharma Dye Fixative (same chemical, different brands.) also make sure you print on 200-ct 100% cotton muslin or 100% silk. if you're printing with an HP using color ink cartridge #10, 11, or 97, expect to lose a lot of ink in the first rinse (20% fade or more). don't blame yourself - it's the "new" and "improved" ink that causes the problem. don't spend all that extra money on bubble jet rinse. synthrapol (your least expensive solution - you only need 4 caps full in a full washer load. also get mine from Dharma.), woolite, or any super-mild detergent will do.

after the first rinse, soak your printed sheets for 30 minutes in a solution of around 1/8 cup of the liquid dye fixative for each 2 cups of water. there's nothing about that in the instructions but think about it ... dye base inks ... dye fixative. i do it as an inexpensive extra step for added insurance against fading over time.

i used to be able to feed fabric through my HP printers easily when ironed to freezer paper. the newer models don't handle it as well. some people swear by full-page labels. i like the sticker project paper (by Avery) better. it's easier for me to get the fabric off without stretching it all out of shape.

if you are lucky enough to have a Canon printer that uses cartridges with numbers starting with CL, you can skip the first detergent wash and drop them straight into the dye fixative mix. you will lose so little ink you can hardly see the difference.

end of chapter. in the next installment, dear readers, we'll find out whether it was the butler or the maid ...
Old 02-23-2007, 10:09 AM

hmmm, i know where the butler was last night so i know he didn't do it.
don't just assume he was with me (it was mimisharon) SSHHHHH
Old 02-23-2007, 07:00 PM

Ah, yes. I am the maid around here, and I know it wasn't me. ;)
It was was the dog. Not my dog, though.

My printer is not a junky HP...I threw both of those out a long time ago! (sorry to those of you owning an HP...Mine were junk! and the HP computer was, too!)
My printer is a Lexmark X2350 scanner/copier/printer all in one. It only takes one ink cartridge for black and white and/or color printing. The number of the cartridge is simply 1. It's cheaper than the hp was to buy ink for, only about $19 compared to the hp 28 (and the black and white one was 27 or 29?), anyway one of those was $28 at the cheapest.

I could sit here and go on about it all night...but like I've said, I just don't get out enough! You guys are the most conversation I get other than my 4 year old daughter that NEVER shuts up, my 21 month old son, my Mom, and my Hubby. DH isn't home so much...he works too much, but ...you know how that all goes. I usually talk to my Mom twice a day on the phone. I only live about 15 minutes from her. I usually visit her once a week or more in the warmer months. We get some nasty roads around here in the winter. Mom and Dad usually make it to see us once or twice over the weekend.
BUT...tomorrow is my birthday, and I get to travel for about an hour and a half to go to a health fair for bloodwork, which usually makes me sick. But, I get to go to the MALL afterwords! so, yay. (and that was said sarcastically!) I get so tired of living where there is nothing around! geez. I'm really excited to get to go to AC MOORE tomorrow, though. I can't wait to get some more stableizer and machine embroidery thread for my new BROTHER...
OK...I'll shut up now.
Old 02-23-2007, 07:37 PM

Miranda,
You sound like you need a hug! Happy Birthday tomorrow! I hope you find something outlandish while your out "celebrating" with blood work! Yuck!!!
Talking with a 4 year old all day can be so wearing! and that 21 month old doesn't add much to the deapth of the conversation either, I imagine! My daughter just enrolled her youngest in a 3 hour day care program two days a week just so she can go have coffee with a friend, or shop alone, whatever. Be kind to yourself! Remember you need to take care of you to be a good mom and wife.
My kids are all grown now but I remember wanting adult time! Even now my sister and I call each other every day and talk for at least an hour. I have no idea what we discuss but before you know the time has flown by. Could be why we don't get as much done as we'd like! :D But adult conversation is so important!
Do something frivilous tomorrow. Make yourself smile! And consider yourself hugged! :lol:
Old 02-24-2007, 02:34 AM
Administrator

Have a Hundred Hugs from me, too.

"Talk" as much as you want to. We are as interested in you as a person as we are in you as a fellow quilter.

HAPPY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY

:-)
Old 02-24-2007, 04:07 AM

Happy Birthday Miranda, yep rattle all you want, if we get tired we'll just quit reading and you'll never know so let it out girl.
I know how you feel about being so far away from civilization, I am too.
kathy