Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Help with ideas for applique - 4 elements

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alchemical_symbol

check out this site. It has the symbols for the four elements. Doesn't mean anything to me but might to your friend.

Blog Entries
    Wow, have fun and can't wait to see photos

Quote Originally Posted by wvdek
    Just want to wish you good luck. No suggestions.
    yes, good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Prism99
    Water is an example of where an applique could be greatly enhanced by quilting. You could create an applique lake and quilt ripple patterns on it, or swirls. Or you could create a waterfall and quilt straight lines down the water fall and circles in a pool at the bottom.
    It didn't even cross my mine to use FMQ to enhance the applique.... you're a genius I say, a genius :D Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by STAR
    waves for water??not sure about air
    That was one of my ideas. I am leaning away from it, only because I've FMQ-ed waves 3-4 times and I'm a little tired of them :mrgreen:

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon321
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alchemical_symbol

check out this site. It has the symbols for the four elements. Doesn't mean anything to me but might to your friend.
    Thank you for the link. Those would follow the theme of the other applique so much better, but I think I might get bored (I have Attention Defici... ooh, shiny) doing 4 triangles. But it does fit the other symbols... thanks for the link!

An idea the boyfriend came up with for water is to do an H20 molecule. It was said mostly as a joke at first, but I'm thinking it could work. Mountain, fire, wispy clouds, and an H20 molecule. Probably ultimately not going to do it, but a fun idea. Since it's the closest to an element of all the pictures... it has 2 elements - hydrogen and oxygen :D And my friend would get it - one of those, know your audience things. We do theatre together, where I was running lights, and he was telling me the cues, and I was using a delta symbol, representing change in math, rather than writing out "change" for each light change. And my friend got it whereas no one else knew what in the heck it meant

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2