Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help, if you have a Brother 1500 >

Help, if you have a Brother 1500

Help, if you have a Brother 1500

Old 04-06-2013, 01:00 PM

Default Help, if you have a Brother 1500

If you have a Brother 1500 can you tell me what settings are best for quilting. What setting do you use for the pressure foot, thread tension, feed dogs? I ordered one and am lost as to where the settings should me. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks
Old 04-06-2013, 02:30 PM

I am a new owner and have only quilt my first baby quilt last week. Nice stitch I used the walking foot and lower the feed down just one click. I did sid and some parallel lines. Did not change tension. I know there are not a lot of instructions with this machine. Hope this helps. I will post photo of quilt as soon as I finish label and binding

Judy in Phx, AZ
Old 04-06-2013, 03:36 PM

I have the machine but haven't used it much...so I can't be of any help. Sorry.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:34 PM

I have the machine. I use it daily. I am currently doing some cross hatching with a walking foot on it. Thread tension is at about 2 1/2. Presser foot is set at about 2/3 pressure. Feed dogs are all the way up.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:09 AM

I have mine set for FMQ. Tension is at 4 and feed dogs are down.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:02 AM

I just got mine on Friday and did one quilt on it. It is set up for FMQ with feed dogs down, tension at 4. I barely had to make any adjustment to it when it came out of the box. Haven't tried anything else on it yet as I put it on my frame.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by ontheriver View Post
I just got mine on Friday and did one quilt on it. It is set up for FMQ with feed dogs down, tension at 4. I barely had to make any adjustment to it when it came out of the box. Haven't tried anything else on it yet as I put it on my frame.
What stitch length? It doesn't have a 0 setting.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:59 AM

I love my machine!!! For regular sewing I use pressure foot tension at normal(N), stitch length at 3 and tension at 2.5. Feeddogs all way up. For FMQ I use the FMQ foot, lower the feed dogs all the way, leave the tension at 2.5 and leave the stitch length at 3. For straight line quilting (SID) I keep the feed dogs all the way up, pressure foot tension to top of blue or start of pink, tension at 2.5 (same) and increase stitch length to 6. Also I do not use walking foot for SID but use my regular 1/4" foot so by making the mentioned adjustments I have no problems. My reasoning of longer stitch length is that you are making about the same stitch length as if you are hand quilting. I will check my tension to make sure it is correct. I was taught to check your tension stitch on the bias on a scrap and then pull stitch line gently. If tension is correct then it should not break. If either side breaks then adjust the tension the upper tension to compensate such as if breaks on bottom upper tension is to loose - tighten and if top breaks then upper tension is too tight- loosed. Then re-test. I NEVER mess with the bobbin tension screw!!!!!
Old 04-07-2013, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by Joy Higdon View Post
If you have a Brother 1500 can you tell me what settings are best for quilting. What setting do you use for the pressure foot, thread tension, feed dogs? I ordered one and am lost as to where the settings should me. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks
You will need to make up some quilt sandwiches and practice til you get what you want. Of course when you get to a real project things will change. Make a sandwich with whatever fabrics and batting you are using in a real quilt. 1500 likes oil! You should get a user guide with your machine.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:38 AM

Default Brother 1500

I really like this machine. I FMQ with the feed dogs down and use the FMQ "hopping foot." The funny foot that is oval shaped and has the spring on it. Tension setting is at 4 and I usually use a 40wt thread on top and 40 to 60 wt in the bobbin. Just remember to clean out the lint with every bobbin refill to avoid skipping stitches and other problems. If you lower the dogs you don't need to worry about stitch length.

Last edited by Sneed; 04-07-2013 at 07:41 AM. Reason: additional info