Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Help! I'm color challenged.

This is a wall hanging that I'm making of a civil war hospital or field cot. It is with Civil War Repro fabrics. There is a strip between each column of blocks (no sashing), and then bordered with the same fabric. The original design has a light beige or cream colored border/strips. I don't want a cream border to blend too much with the beiges/creams in the blocks, but I don't know what other color I would use. I'd like to stay with the original design of beige/cream, but this is where I get lost. Should I use a darker, almost brown? A tan? A solid? A print?
    Color choice has never been easy for me, and apparently after 3 years I'm still struggling. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!
    BTW, the second picture is just amusing (to me anyway). We were would supposed to get scattered rain yesterday! Alot of the snow has already melted. You have to love March!
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I would probably end up with a more brownish color, but goodness knows I'm pretty color challenged myself.

Fabrics should come with tags like Granimals clothes!!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    My first thought would be to use a soldier blue color. It's close to navy blue but somewhat duller. Brown would work also.
    So sorry to see the white 'rain' I hope it melts fast for you. Spring is here - somewhere.

Blue or brown

This first one that came to me was the blue. The second would be the beigy brown family. Like your third block in the first row has a lot of variation in it and the last row last block. Something in between there. Sometimes you can find a nice antiquey green and that could offset most of your color choices there. I've been shocked that green sometimes just brings in the right amount of contrast.

My first thought was a dark blue, maybe navy. You say you'd like to stay with the orig. idea though, so my second choice
    would be a dark brown. Solid or print would depend on what I found and how it looked. It's going to be really nice.
    Marilyn

Quote Originally Posted by danmar
    My first thought was a dark blue, maybe navy. You say you'd like to stay with the orig. idea though, so my second choice
    would be a dark brown. Solid or print would depend on what I found and how it looked. It's going to be really nice.
    Marilyn
    I like the blue (soldier blue), but leaning toward a brown which would be better suited to stay with the original pattern. I am headed out today to look for fabric. We'll see how that goes. Maybe I'll come home with both colors and see how they look.
    Thanks for everyone's input, I truly appreciate it.

A blue-gray would go well with your fabrics and fit the era....

Ditter

My first thought when I looked at your picture was a navy color. I liked the previous idea of using a soldier blue that would be a little more dull than navy :)

It seems like I'm like everyone else I was saying blue, but a nice dark brown would work also.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast