Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help! Im a little confused :/

Im trying to make this block but I can't seem to figure out the last step on page 1 for the middle square. Any hints? http://www.quilterscache.com/T/TheCogBlockBlock.html

It is showing you to cut off the part under the top triangle, so you only have one layer.

It's actually just a "square in a square". Put a small square in the upper corner of your large square, draw a line from corner to corner and stitch on that line (note direction of line). Fold the fabric back and press-should be square with your large square edges. You can trim off the extra. Then repeat with a square in the opposite corner. Add the last 2 small squares in the same way. Just work on opposite corners and press after each square is sewn on. Hope this helps-it's a pretty block.

Blog Entries
    You place a square on the corner of the block, placing it on the diagonal, as the diagram shows.
    Then you sew diagonally across the square, trimming the corners off. :D:D:D

I guess im confused by the actual placement of the 4 outer points. I have the pieces in front of me and it doesnt match their picture at all. The middle & outer squares are the same size.

I just made one similar to this one a couple weeks ago. The center is a sqare in a square. Then triangular looking units are like flying geese. The real trick is squaring your components and accurate seaming.

I have a picture of the one I made if you need to see it. Sometimes that helps.

Yes, they are the same size until you sew them on the diaginal and then cut the underneath part off leaving you with a triangle.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsMoe4487
    I guess im confused by the actual placement of the 4 outer points. I have the pieces in front of me and it doesnt match their picture at all. The middle & outer squares are the same size.
    I think the confusion comes in where they do not give you cutting instructions for the center square WITH the cutting instructions for the rest of it. In the step you mentioned they tell you to cut the center square 6 1/2" - did you miss that by chance? It is the same fabric as in row 3 above but a different dimension.

Once you have that cut, then sew the smaller squares corner to corner just like you do the flying geese.

If I may make a suggesion: I get a bit anal about how the seams align, so I make sure to sew them in the same order every time. Since the seams overlap, they will overlap in the same orientation on every square.

Oh goodness MadQuilter.....thats exactly what I missed! Now that makes much more sense! Thanks :) The lightbulb has clicked on. Haha

I do the same thing. I think uniformity makes it easier to keep track especially when I screw up. I always seem to work counter clockwise.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast