Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Help! I'm at my wit's end!

Help! I'm at my wit's end!

Irons - can't live without one, can't find one to last!

Since I have been quilting, I go through an iron in less than a year, usually 8 to 10 months. Tried many different brands but nothing seems to last. Is it the reduced quality of irons, or is it because when you quilt, they are on for hours at a time. And I quilt almost every day.

Any suggestions? Don't suggest Rowenta -- they are too heavy for my poor arthritic hands! Thanks for any help you can share with me.
    My soul is fed with needle and thread

He who has not Christmas in his heart will never find it under a tree. ~Roy L. Smith

I just get a plain 'ol inexpensive Black & Decker or GE from Walmart or Target. Mine has held up for years.

ali
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)
    Judy, if you're going through so many irons I have to wonder if you have "dirty" power like we do here. It fluctuates constantly, so many things burn out quicker than they should. Do you have them plugged into a surge protector? If not, try that. And if it doesn't help, I would say buy the cheapest iron that does the job. If they won't last, no sense spending a lot of $ on them.

Good luck.
    aka Chicken McLittle

If it's true we learn from our mistakes, I'm going to be a genius!

Blog Entries
    Is the iron leaking or spewing water but still heats up? I bought this one and so far it's been great. http://www.always-free-shipping.com/...-dry-iron.html
    Got fabric?

I bought a really cheap one and did not put any water in it.....so far that has lasted longer than my previous irons. I now use a spray bottle of water or Mary Ellen's Best Press when I press my blocks/seams. (Love Best Press!!!)

Quote Originally Posted by AliKat View Post
    I just get a plain 'ol inexpensive Black & Decker or GE from Walmart or Target. Mine has held up for years.

ali
    I agree. I have a Black and Decker that I've had for a number of years that I paid $30 for at Walmart. It doesn't leak, is on for hours nearly every day. Doesn't spit and holds a lot of water. I like it a lot.

I bought a cheap $6 iron at Dollar General, and it is working a year later..So cheap I dont care if I have to replace it..The last one ran for 5 years, and I am sure it was the cheapest one available at the time

I feel for you. I've gone through 3 or 4 in the last 10 years (different brands). As a teen when I ironed in the 60s mom always put distilled water in it. I don't remember it 'spitting' like they do now, but my mom used to put vinegar inside to get the gunk out. I bought a Rowenta a couple of months back (never had one before). I now use no water in it but just use the Best Press. I personally find the iron saga very frustrating...

Picked up an vintage GE Iron at a resale shop and the thing works wonders. Better yet it was 4 BUCKS!!!

I also have a Black & Decker that I have had for years. I only use a spray bottle; no water in iron.
    Gloria 

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast