Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Help - Iron On Transfers -

How do you know if Iron On transfer are still good.

I found a book while going through mom's sewing items. It's called OLD FASHIONED GIRLS QUILT - by Louis Kocks
    It has iron one transfers for easy thread or liquid embrodery plus step by step quilt making instructions.

The book was produced by Rita Weiss - & American School Of Needlepoint - I can't find anything about it - but at the bottom of each page it has the date 1981 (30 yrs ago)

The iron ons are black & white - the are girls in long dress with parasols - I am trying to find some type of hand work while on vacation

How can I tell if these transfers are good?
    What would be the best way to transfer these on the fabric? What type of fabric shold I use?

HELP

Blog Entries
    I wouldn't actually try to heat set the transfers. I would use them as patterns and trace them onto the fabric using a light box.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'd try one out on a cheap flour sack towel. If it works you can embroider it and have a cool kitchen towel. You could then do the rest on whatever project you wanted to do.

is there a TEST on the pages? you can also use a SULKY iron on transfer pen. you trace pic, flip over and iron onto fabric
    http://www.sulky.com/transferpens/index_pens.php

Quote Originally Posted by Crafty Lady in WA
    is there a TEST on the pages? you can also use a SULKY iron on transfer pen. you trace pic, flip over and iron onto fabric
    How those are cool pens - thank you for mentioning them

I don't really know if they ever "go bad" as long as the paper is holding together. If there is a test design, use it to test; if not, I guess you'll just have to go for it and see if it works, or trace with a lightbox instead, as someone else suggested.

I used to sell on Etsy, and I sold a vintage Holly Hobby transfer (from the early 80's I think) pattern, and told the buyer I'd refund her money if it didn't work, and she said it worked fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Butterflyblue
    I don't really know if they ever "go bad" as long as the paper is holding together. If there is a test design, use it to test; if not, I guess you'll just have to go for it and see if it works, or trace with a lightbox instead, as someone else suggested.

I used to sell on Etsy, and I sold a vintage Holly Hobby transfer (from the early 80's I think) pattern, and told the buyer I'd refund her money if it didn't work, and she said it worked fine.
    Don't tell any body here - BUT YOU ARE MY NEW BESTEST FRIEND!!
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JUNEC
    Quote Originally Posted by Crafty Lady in WA
    How those are cool pens - thank you for mentioning them
    I love mine. I use it alot