Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help from LAQ >

Help from LAQ

Help from LAQ

Old 07-29-2011, 07:44 AM

I made a quilt for my nieces wedding in Sept. and I used Minky on the back. I'm having a friend from our quilt group do the LAQ. I stopped over to her house to see how it was going and am a little upset. She is using light purple thread on the light purple fabric, which is what I wanted. But it looks like a darker color. When I asked about it she said the Minky threads have popped though from the back side. I have had 3 other quilts ( different LAQ) done with minky on the back and this has never happened. She said when it's washed it should be fine. First I didn't plan on washing it first and what if it isn't ok? Has anyone ever had this happen and was it ok after washing? Help!
Old 07-29-2011, 07:49 AM
Power Poster

alot of things you think may be a problem disappear after the quilt is washed- and i have to ask...
why would you gift a quilt without washing it first? after binding that should always be the next step- that way if anything goes wrong (like a seam coming undone-or a fabric bleeding) you find the problem and have the opportunity to fix it- if you just gift the quilt- and the recipient is the first one to wash it it can certainly cause alot of stress- dismay- hurt if it falls apart.
i always want to know exactly what it's going to be like after it gets washed-before i give it to anyone.

now about the minkie coming through...is there also batting?
i've used minkie on lots of quilts and have never had this happen- but i hear all the time about batting coming through too- and that has never happened to me either---so i don't know why it seems some people have that problem and some don't
maybe it has to do with the size of the needle- or weight of the thread-
but washing will probably make it all better
Old 07-29-2011, 08:35 AM
Power Poster

I agree with ckcowl, I always wash a quilt before gifting.
If it does have an issue I would like to know before hand.
It sounds like this may have happened to the LAQer before and it corrected itself in the wash :D:D:D
Old 07-29-2011, 09:23 AM

I LA my quilts with Minky and have never had this happen to me. Maybe there is a burr on the needle, making it bring back the Minky fabric as it stitiches. But I'm no expert, just a thought. Hope there's a good conclusion for you!
Old 07-29-2011, 10:26 AM

Thanks so much for your helpful answers. I know that washing the quilt before giving it is something that most on the board do. I think I might just start doing it in the future. I feel better now that it will all turn out ok after I wash the quilt.
Thanks you .
***Pam***
-^..^- meow
Old 07-29-2011, 11:33 AM

I have a Tin Lizzie machine and Grace metal frame. Have never LAQ one with minky on the back, afraid I will stretch it. What are some hints. Thanks for your help.