Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with layout please >

Help with layout please

Help with layout please

Old 01-28-2015, 12:13 AM

Unhappy Help with layout please

Could you please help with the layout of this BOM? The original pattern called for only 6 appliquéd blocks, 12 pieced blocks and a finishing kit. These were set on point.

Half way through I decided I wasn't going to buy the finishing kit as my piecing was soooooo bad (believe me when I tell you that that's no false modesty - the block with the green centre was off by 5/8ths and one or two others were almost as bad!).

Anyway I can't figure out the layout. I'm going to add black sashing/border and a colourful binding. I don't want to make any more blocks. Would a flower in each of the corners and a row across the middle look better? I'd welcome any other suggestions.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]507915[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_1314.jpg  
Old 01-28-2015, 03:40 AM

I think I'd just mix them up very randomly throughout the quilt. If your blocks are off size that much, I'm assuming you're going to adjust your sashing to create uniform size blocks. I think I would sash them all first and then lay them out again (randomly still). They may look very different all sashed and give a totally different look to your quilt. Love the colors!
Old 01-28-2015, 04:02 AM
Power Poster

If they are not the same size, that is when I set blocks wonky. I add about 3 inch sashing to each block and then use my 15 inch square and tip it off center and re-cut at an angle. With the blqck in the blocks and black sashing, it will look like they are floating. Pretty blocks!
Old 01-28-2015, 04:49 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
If they are not the same size, that is when I set blocks wonky. I add about 3 inch sashing to each block and then use my 15 inch square and tip it off center and re-cut at an angle. With the blqck in the blocks and black sashing, it will look like they are floating. Pretty blocks!
this was my first thought, too... wonky settings hide a multitude of problems. your colors are great.
Old 01-28-2015, 05:02 AM
Power Poster

Great colors. The blocks are very pretty.
Old 01-28-2015, 05:12 AM

Wow, I love the brights on black and your applique is beautiful. I can't help with the layout, but, I love the wonky suggestion. Never would have thought of that. Good luck, the blocks are so pretty.
Old 01-28-2015, 05:29 AM

If my blocks turn out different sizes - which they often do - I use Tartan's suggestion. I frame all of them and cut them back to a standard size. Your blocks are so striking. You have quite an investment in time already - keep going, and show us the finished quilt.
Old 01-28-2015, 05:40 AM

I would absolutly sash all your blocks with black then resquare them up either straight or wonky lay them out randomly, they will just float off your quilt. The colors and blocks are beautiful.
Old 01-28-2015, 05:45 AM
Power Poster

I think it looks great. My only comment would be to switch either the top row green or blue block because they are next to each other and are the same block design. If the blocks are not the same size, then I would set them on point by sewing oversize triangles on all four size, then you can trim all the blocks down to the same size. I did that with a lot of the guild I belong to before I move because NO ONE seem to be able to make the same size blocks with the block exchanges.
Attached Thumbnails laughingpumpkins-email.jpg  

Last edited by ManiacQuilter2; 01-28-2015 at 05:51 AM.
Old 01-28-2015, 07:51 AM

I love your blocks. They have such a WOW factor. I haven't used black as a background or sashing before, but I am going to add that to my list!! Sorry, I have no suggestions for your layout. The finished quilt is going to be beautiful, no matter what you end up deciding.

Dina