Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help: Log Cabin Fabric Values Please >

Help: Log Cabin Fabric Values Please

Help: Log Cabin Fabric Values Please

Old 07-24-2011, 06:00 AM

Hi all. i am going to do a half log cabin. My question is, do you think I have enough value contrast for lights and darks? I always need help with this part, and DH is asleep and DD at work. So I am asking my quilt family. :D

the colors are kind of civil war reds and creams with a bit of brown and taupe. Couldn't find any cameras so had to use my cell phone.

I think I do, but not sure. Thanks so much! Going to start starching and ironing.

lights
[ATTACH=CONFIG]230943[/ATTACH]

darks
[ATTACH=CONFIG]230944[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-230936.jpe   attachment-230937.jpe   attachment-230938.jpe  
Old 07-24-2011, 06:04 AM

How many logs? I like to have about twice the number of each light & dark. So for a block with 5 dark & 5 light logs I'd aim for 10 each.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:07 AM
Power Poster

from the top picture i would remove the middle 3- they are too (medium)...blend it all together rather than create contrast.
sometimes it is hard to not have all mediums---
one way to do it is to take a picture of the fabrics layed out like you have them-then print the picture in grayscale-
with the color gone you see the distinct values- light, medium and dark= that way you can see what is blending and what is contrasting
i like the fabrics- will make a wonderful quilt
Old 07-24-2011, 06:10 AM
Power Poster

Ooooooohhhhhh I do love your fabrics. My colours totally!

It looks to me that you have 5 lights and 5 darks, right? Counting from the right, the 5th light to me, looks like it'd be better as a dark. In the full view of all ten, it blends nicely, just seems to be too big a jump in the light gradation.

As a second thought ... wonder? try that one as your centre starter square. And build from there.

Another way to check log cabin placements is to lay your fabrics one on top of each other, as it would be within the finished block. That gives you a better idea as to the end placement and how the colours will work.

And of course ..... make a few trial blocks before deciding is another route ... though I hate doing that much work to decide, and especially if you're running tight on yardage!

...... It's going to make one beautiful beautiful quilt!
Old 07-24-2011, 06:10 AM

I am not very good with color contrast either, but I have to say I love your fabrics. Looking forward to seeing your progress
Old 07-24-2011, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by knlsmith
Hi all. i am going to do a half log cabin. My question is, do you think I have enough value contrast for lights and darks? I always need help with this part, and DH is asleep and DD at work. So I am asking my quilt family. :D

the colors are kind of civil war reds and creams with a bit of brown and taupe. Couldn't find any cameras so had to use my cell phone.

I think I do, but not sure. Thanks so much! Going to start starching and ironing.
Take the fabrics and lay them out for sample logs. It's the only way to tell. This looks to me to be subtle blocks. Pretty colors, but I would want some more lights - lighter than you have there and more darks - also darker. But it will also be pretty - in your subtle colors.
Judi
Old 07-24-2011, 06:13 AM

I love your colors, but it's hard to tell from this if there is enough contrast. Try a sample block maybe? One thing I try to do when not sure is take a black and white picture to look at the values. Most of the time that helps me.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:14 AM

There will be 4 darks and 3 lights.

I don't want it to be to bold, i will being some applique on the top after it is put together. I also don't want it to look like a solid piece of fabric, either.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:15 AM

I got all of these at LQS on sale for 1/2 off. i bought a yard of each one. :) I like the colors, too.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:26 AM
Power Poster

A couple of your lights look too dark (the 3 on the left) and one of your darks looks too light (the one on the far right).
The fabrics are fabulous!!! :D