Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Help from Long Arm Quilters >
  • Help from Long Arm Quilters

• Help from Long Arm Quilters

Old 05-03-2015, 09:47 AM

Default Help from Long Arm Quilters

I need help. I have a small long arm business where I do computerized edge to edge quilting for customers. My problem is that I have one customer quilt that has small dots of batting coming out of the stitching on the back. I changed the needle, did several tests and a little internet research and found that the batting has a right side and a wrong side and hers was up side down. So.....I removed the quilt from the frame, removed all the stitches and reloaded with the right side down. I guess it's Murphy's law but, I still have small dots of batting coming out of the stitches on the back. I am at a loss. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Old 05-03-2015, 10:04 AM

Only thing I might add is why aren't the providers of batting not marking the right/wrong side of their product??? Sure would help us quilters. I have not encountered your problem but have experienced bearding on dark fabric w light colored batting.....another whole different issue.
    Old 05-03-2015, 10:46 AM

I have experienced the bearding but only when I have the wrong side of the batting down. I now look for all those little seeds and put that on the top. I use Warm & Natural for almost everything I do.

I am wondering if it could be the quality of the fabric she pieced with. Some fabric has a lot less stitches per inch and, maybe, that could promote bearding. I don't know what you would do if that is the case.
    Old 05-03-2015, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana
    I have experienced the bearding but only when I have the wrong side of the batting down. I now look for all those little seeds and put that on the top. I use Warm & Natural for almost everything I do.

I am wondering if it could be the quality of the fabric she pieced with. Some fabric has a lot less stitches per inch and, maybe, that could promote bearding. I don't know what you would do if that is the case.
    i agree that it is the fabric. I made a Christmas quilt with fabric from a good manufacturer and it bearded. Upon close inspection, i realized that the cause was the looser weave and the dark green print fabric. I just ignore it. Use a sticky roller to it.