Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Help making a baby blanket

I have never made a blanket before. I would like to set my goal on a pretty easy pattern. If anyone can help that would be great! I have machine washable satin for the back and two different patterned cotton for front. Any tips on sewing the blocks together or anything a beginner just wouldn't know would be great. Thanks

Blog Entries
    Is this meant for the baby's bed or to carry her in? Satin is very slippery. It won't stay on the baby in the bed and I sure wouldn't carry a baby in a satin blanket. Sorry to be a wet blanket, but I've been there.

I agree. Satin is too slippery. Flannel always seems to be favorite of all young moms and it sews much easier than satin.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LivelyLady
    I agree. Satin is too slippery. Flannel always seems to be favorite of all young moms and it sews much easier than satin.
    It also wouldn't hold up over the number of washings a baby blanket would get. I would go with flannel.

I am currently making my first one and I chose to do a rag quilt. It will be for tummy time on the floor. I must confess it got away from me and it is 9 rows of 6 inch flannel blocks sewn together as 5 inch blocks...I think I bit off a bit too much, but I will just finish it up the best I can. DD will understand...I hope. She is a great hand quilter but very forgiving.