Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HELP making a flannel quilt. >

HELP making a flannel quilt.

HELP making a flannel quilt.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:21 PM

Question HELP making a flannel quilt.

I decided that I wanted to make a nice, cozy, snuggly flannel quilt. Now the problem, after reading so many different things here & the internet to do considering flannel I have scared myself. So any help or tips will help me out greatly. First do you do a zig-zag stitch around the edges of the cut pieces to keep it from fraying. Second do you starch the heck out of it so it will keep it's shape. I have also read to use a 1/2" seam instead of a 1/4" seam. To late for that as I have already cut the center blocks, I do not want to re-figure the pattern I want to use. It is a snowball with sashing around the center block. third I have read to use small stitches & then I have read to use larger stitches. Also someone told me to use wax paper under the flannel so it will move smoothly through the machine. Lastly I know that I will have a lot of lint to brush away even though I have already washed & dryed it. So please give me any helpful hints that you have or that you have learned. I am so confused.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:21 AM

As you have already washed it. the lint issue will be less. I (personally) would lightly starch it - I think that it will be easier to work on. As for the stitch size and seam width, I always use a 1/4" seam for flannel and a slightly shorter length stitch. I think that I have only seen the 1/2" seam recommended for the rag quilts. I would not worry about zigzagging the edges. As these seams will be inside there will be minimal friction on them when it is quilted.

My only other thought is perhaps you might want to consider pressing the seams open. If the snowballs will be sewn to one another, and you press all the seams in the same direction you may end up with a good size lump where the seams come together due to the thickness of the flannel.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:17 AM

One of the first bed sized quilts I made was flannel. I dove right in without hearing any tips or tricks. I did pre-wash everything. It came out fine. I should have quilted it more or closer together because after many years some of the quilting is coming out. It's still in use though!
Old 01-10-2014, 05:53 AM

The heavier flannels will be easier to work with. Just do a comparison on the ones you chose. As for stitch length, I would use the usual small stitch to make the blocks but a bigger stitch when quilting it. The smaller ones may not show against the looser weave of flannel.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:53 AM

I'm like Maggiemay; I made this quilt in 2001 and prewashed the flannel & just stitched it like any other quilt. It is quilt store flannel and still looks good after lots of cuddling. It's different to work with than the flannelette that I buy & put on the backs of baby quilts, they seem to be alot thinner fabric, so are more stretchy. IMHO [ATTACH=CONFIG]455964[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails snug-bug001-small-.jpg  
Old 01-11-2014, 09:06 AM

Don't be afraid of flannel! I love working with it. Sometimes I prewash--sometimes I don't (I do it less for shrinkage--than because sometimes deep colors run--especially, in my experience, reds). I do use a half inch seam, but I have old ones with quarter inch seams that are still fine after years of use. I don't use waxed paper--have never had trouble without it. It is a bit stretchier than quilter's cotton, but I spent years making clothing with stretchy fabric--flannel is much easier to handle. Plus, the end result--the snuggle factor--is priceless!
Old 01-11-2014, 09:25 AM

Your quilt will be fine! What I do, is use a smaller stitch when I am piecing it together. And when I bind it I usually do stitch around the quilt twice. Not really sure if it matters, just something I do. The only time I had any problem was when I tried hand piecing it - thought I had a pretty tight stitch, but it wasn't. So will not do that again.
Old 01-11-2014, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 View Post
I'm like Maggiemay; I made this quilt in 2001 and prewashed the flannel & just stitched it like any other quilt. It is quilt store flannel and still looks good after lots of cuddling. It's different to work with than the flannelette that I buy & put on the backs of baby quilts, they seem to be alot thinner fabric, so are more stretchy. IMHO [ATTACH=CONFIG]455964[/ATTACH]
Love your quilt.
Old 01-11-2014, 04:54 PM

Thanks to all for the heplful tips and yes one of the colors I'm using is RED. I washed it three times, used shout color catchers & it still fades out. I'm going to have a high water bill on this one. LOL. Thanks again ladies.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:20 AM

I made my dad a flannel quilt for Christmas using the Domino pattern. I didn't have any trouble putting it together but maybe I'm just new enough to quilting to know flannel is harder to work with! Dad loved it and says it's very warm which is good because my mom keeps their house on the cool side! lol I've attached a picture so I hope it shows up! Good luck!! [ATTACH=CONFIG]456692[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails dad-quilt-pic.jpg