Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help in making a 'quilted' jacket >

Help in making a 'quilted' jacket

Help in making a 'quilted' jacket

Old 03-22-2015, 10:58 AM

Default Help in making a 'quilted' jacket

I have been wanting to make a 'quilted' jacket...meaning, putting the actual quilt pieces together and making the jacket. I expected to be able to find an actual (Simplicity, MaCall's, etc.) pattern. Instead, I've only found resources for making one from a 'sweatshirt', which I have difficulty understanding.

Is there such a pattern available? Any and all help appreciated! Thanks, in advance!

~Libb
Old 03-22-2015, 11:11 AM

I see those patterns at the Houston Quilt show. If you look at a quilted jacket, most of them are very simple. They are very like a top shirt, but most likely with a zipper front and all finished seams on the inside. You won't need facings. You can adapt a pattern with few pieces to use the pre-quilted fabric. Look at any of the pattern manufacturer...McCall or Simplicity. There are more, but I can't remember their names right now.

This page may have something you would like. I see several cute ones. http://kwiksew.mccall.com/jackets-vests-pages-5572.php
Old 03-22-2015, 11:33 AM

I took the sweatshirt to jacket course and was very disappointed. The one thing I did learn was to quilt-as-you-go, that way you cut the lining and put the batting in as you lay the pieces of the front, and then sew. If you look at the above website Barb in Louisiana wrote, look carefully at patterns K4004 and K3918. You can use these two and really put together a nice jacket. If you get a pattern, lay it out and measure it, copying one that fits you good and you like. I know I need a fuller front than back and I need short sleeves. I like the length to come down past my butt or covering the waist. If you get a pattern and need help, please PM me and I can help you. I have fabric that I want to use for one too with the blue herons on. By the way, I would line it with a polyester lining so you can wash it and do something to the edges so they do not fray, overcasting maybe. I have tailored many jackets and know what goes in them. Use an interfacing on the collar if you have a collar, down the front and inside the pockets. That is where it wears. If you use a zipper, make sure you wash it before using because they shrink. I would probably wash the fabric before hand too. Good luck
Old 03-22-2015, 12:31 PM
Power Poster

I've made a few and used a polar fleece pattern, just basic pieces.
i'd sew the fabric pieces. then layer and quilt. then i'd cut out the pieces from the pattern.
sew it tog, and make the same for the lining. easiest way I found.
show us what you decide to do. good luck
Old 03-22-2015, 12:53 PM

Nancy Zieman from "Sewing with Nancy" always has patterns for jackets in her catalogs. Maybe try her website? www.nancysnotions.com

Another alternative would be to "quilt as you go" on lightweight yardage and then put a jacket pattern on that "quilted" fabric and cut and sew just as you would any other pattern. I've not done this, but it seems as if it would work.

Good luck with your project!
Old 03-22-2015, 12:54 PM

Here's another way and I have an old one that I purchased years ago. Someone had taken a quilt, and then made the jacket from the actual quilt. They cut the actual pattern from a completed quilt and then sewed it together into a jacket.
Old 03-22-2015, 01:00 PM

I made one in flannel strips at the quilt shop
pattern we used was Fat Quarters and More raggy jacket by four corners
#fc 9152
I just love mine like putting on a blanket when its cold
Good Luck
Gale
Old 03-22-2015, 01:14 PM

Making quilted yardage is probably the easiest.

I found shirt patterns like "the big shirt" which had you color block. You trace the pattern and draw the sections on the tracing. Retrace, and add 1/4" seam allowance where needed. Cut your fabric according to your made pattern and sew it together.

http://patternrevolution.com/pattern...sewing-machine

Here's a basic tutorial:

http://www.beanbunny.com/colorblock.html

Last edited by Weezy Rider; 03-22-2015 at 01:18 PM.
Old 03-22-2015, 01:22 PM

There's a tutorial here on the board:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...et-t48923.html
Old 03-22-2015, 01:29 PM

I've made two...one years ago from a pattern specifically meant for a quilted jacket. It was tougher than I thought though.

The second I did the sweatshirt method where you take a sweatshirt one size too large and cut it apart at the seams. Then you have the basic pattern pieces pretty much in the right shape. I made rows of piecing and then did the stitch and flip method to cover the pieces. Once they were fully covered, I sewed the edges and trimmed them before quilting them and then sewing them back together. Then I did have to do a bit of fitting to get it to fit well. I did NOT use extra batting as the fleece gave it plenty of body I did bind around the whole outside and mine doesn't have a zipper/buttons or any type of closure.