Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help on March block >

Help on March block

Help on March block

Old 03-14-2007, 05:46 AM

I'm having trouble already. Usually when I cut pieces they are cut exact. These directions are confusing. Cutting rectangles, then sowing on the diag and cut. I'm stumped on page 2. Setting squares on the rectangle. First time I aligned on the 2 outsides and they overlapped too much in the middle so I aligned toward the middle. It looks better but comes to a perfect point. I know when I sew the next piece on I will lose my point. HELP!!!!!! What am I doing wrong.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:51 AM

I know I said I needed HELP but what I should have said was
HELP
Old 03-14-2007, 06:07 AM

Debbie, I feel your pain, but I do not as a rule do much piecing, mostly appliue so I am at a loss as to how to help you. I just wanted you to know that someone is listening even if they are unable to help. :-)
If that's any consolation.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:38 AM
Administrator

the only things you're doing wrong are (1) assuming it's your fault and (2) letting this get you into a panic.

the illustrations at the web site are beautiful but they are not accurate.
assuming you cut everything accurately - and i'm sure you did - it should go like this:

do as the instructions say in regard to lining up the outer edges of the squares with the outer edges of the rectangle.

also, do draw the diagonal line at the proper angle to "divide" the square into two triangles.

do NOT - i repeat - DO NOT sew exactly on the line you drew. instead sew just a teeny bit (about 1/16th of an inch) inside the line. Because if you sew right on the line, when you fold the triangle back it will not line up perfectly with the rectangle. By sewing inside, you can fold and press it to match perfectly BEFORE you trim away the excess fabric from behind.

although it doesn't look that way in the illustration at the website, the second triangle is supposed to overlap the first. to check your accuracy, use a ruler to check where everything is in relationship to the 1/4" seam allowance. (see the illustration below. the dotted line marks the seam allowance) i'll bet your triangles weren't as far off as you thought they were.

did you see the picture i posted (page 2 of the BOM topic) showing how to lay it out using half-square triangles? only one set of measurements and one technique. if you'd prefer more help fighting with the block the way you've started, send me a PM.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-55928.jpe  
Old 03-14-2007, 06:44 AM

I knew she'd come to the rescue. Our Guru never lets us down :!: :lol:
What a nice person you are Patrice. Almost makes me want to give up applique :!:
Old 03-14-2007, 06:45 AM

Thank you. I thought I was reading it wrong. I did it right the first time. I'll do it again, only sew 1/16 inch shorter. I only bought fat quarters for this. If I don't get it this time I'll have to buy more fab. Off I go.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:59 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by vicki reno
I knew she'd come to the rescue. Our Guru never lets us down :!: :lol:
What a nice person you are Patrice. Almost makes me want to give up applique :!:
thank you for the kind words. you have made my day.

PLEASE don't give up applique. who would i turn to for questions about that?
:D
Old 03-14-2007, 07:11 AM

I tried it again and it still didn't look right but something clicked in my head and I went back to the first one I did and really looked at it and lo and behold it hit me. You do match it up on the outside edge and you do sew on the diag line but before you apply the other side you have to trim and fold the first one back and press. That's what I did wrong. I didn't fold it back over. Let this be a lesson to all of us. When doing something new and you have step by step instructions. Read, read and read it again before attempting to do it. And do every step cuz if you miss one step you will #*&% it up.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:17 AM

Patrice,
Okay, I question "inside" the line. I sew just a tad to the outside of the line, towards the outside corner, so when I fold the inside triangle over I'm folding on the line. Is this just a matter of semantics? Are we saying the same thing? Or not?

Anyway, Debbie, when you go to sew your flying goose onto the middle square, be sure to put the goose on top. That way you can direct your seam right on the edge of the point and when you flip it, it'll be perfect.

I made the same mistake you made, many,many times, until the light finally dawned, "oh, I need a seam allowance!" Like, DUH! I can be taught. :roll:
Old 03-14-2007, 07:23 AM

I may try it in a hundred years or so when I get tired of applique. I have 30 pansies done, fused together, not to anything but to themselves and 30 more to go for my lap quilt. But its going to be pretty. I like the BOM, but I'll watch for a while longer :!: