Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with Martelli Rotary Cutter >

Help with Martelli Rotary Cutter

Help with Martelli Rotary Cutter

Old 04-20-2010, 05:22 PM

I feel stupid... but, Is there a trick to changing the blade on the Martelli rotary cutter?? Like my other cutters... I just un-screwed the screw and put a new blade in and am attempting to tighten the screw and it won't tighten back up. I think it might just be turning the "bolt" on the other side around and around...but I don't see any way to get "into" the other side to hold it???? Anyway, I am feeling kind of silly for asking, but I am in the middle of a project... I do have other cutters, but I really like the Martelli. Thanks for any suggestions and tips.
Frustrated in Arizona, :shock:
Old 04-20-2010, 05:29 PM

My son just bought me one of these cutters for Mother's Day. It's on the way. Woo hoo! Do you have to use the Martelli blades or will any 45mm blade replacement work? I'm a big blade changer. If it's not slicing through four layers effortlessly, I toss it.

My arm is so messed up from cutting. My wrist gets it at times too. Icky bubbles of fluid. I'm hoping this cutter will give me some relief. New blades have to be cheaper than a new arm. The doc just says to stop cutting. Like that's going to happen.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:37 PM

Chele, I bet you will Love the Martelli then!! It does take a little getting used to...just because of the angle of it...but I just LOVE mine! I am not sure about using other blades with it... I bought a pack of them when I bought the cutter, so I have not tried another brand? I didn't realize when I bought the extra blades that there were 5 blades in the package...so when you see the cost is alittle more then others...that is why. I would love to get the mat they sell also, but I really have no reason to spend that much money on one, when mine works just fine. Oh, and yes.., It does cut easily through many layers of fabric...like butter! Four is the most I have wanted to try at one time, but it went through so effortlessly, I am sure you can do several more.

Hope you enjoy it! Great Mothers Day Gift :D

Julie*
Old 04-20-2010, 05:48 PM

OK...NOW I FEEL REALLY STUPID!! :oops:

I was tightening the screw the wrong way!!! :oops: It tightens "counter-clockwise" not typical to tighten something like that...even tho it says it right on the darn thing :-D Anyway, I am off and cutting again!!

So Chele....when you get yours... Be sure to turn the screw in the OPPOSITE direction you would think.

Thanks all....no further assistance needed.
Happy again in Arizona :-D
Old 04-20-2010, 05:49 PM

That is funny because I just changed the blade in mine today. Just be sure you are turning in the counterclockwise way. Opposite of the way you tighten most things. And also be sure you only have one blade in there, ask me how I know about that.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:53 PM

SewGrey,
LOLOL .... Don't ya just feel silly... glad we can laugh at ourselves! Good point tho, I can see how putting two or more blades in one cutter, as they were so tight together in the package. So...Chele, Note that tip also before you get yours :-D
Thanks
Old 04-20-2010, 06:52 PM
Power Poster

Sounds like something I would do. I'm glad you figured it out.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:48 PM

It is better to use the Martelli blades in their cutter. You can use Olfa, but the center in the Olfa has those notches and the will sometimes make the cutter "pop" as you use it. They tell me that eventually the Olfa blades will saw through the center screw. I got rid of all my Olfa blades and bought a huge pack of Martelli blades and split them with the other 5 ladies in my church quilting group who also have the Martelli cutters.
I love my cutter, it does work a little better with their own blades.
Old 04-22-2010, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by Sede_Mae
OK...NOW I FEEL REALLY STUPID!! :oops:

I was tightening the screw the wrong way!!! :oops: It tightens "counter-clockwise" not typical to tighten something like that...even tho it says it right on the darn thing :-D Anyway, I am off and cutting again!!

So Chele....when you get yours... Be sure to turn the screw in the OPPOSITE direction you would think.

Thanks all....no further assistance needed.
Happy again in Arizona :-D
glad you got it figured out