Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help me buy a sewing machine

Ok - these are the facts:

- I already have a sewing machine that is in perfectly fine, working order and I know how to use it now, mostly, lol. It's a featherweight.

- I only have about 200 dollars to spend on a new one. Had a little surprise in my mailbox today, woot!

- The only reason I even want a new one is to learn machine quilting (since I've been told it's not suggested that you do that with a FW, and I don't have the feet for it anyway), *plus* I'd like to have extra stitch options, like decorative ones, or side to side ones (clearly, I'm still learning the lingo, too.) I am interested in sewing other things like aprons, bags, wallets, towels, etc. Not looking to be a fashion designer, but you know, gift-y type stuff.

- I'm learning to sew, so nothing too complicated, but it'd be a bonus if it came with extra feet like zipper foot, the free motion quilting foot, walking foot (?), etc. In other words, I'd like to get a little bang for my buck, hehe.

Know anything that might fit that bill? Did I leave any important info out?

Blog Entries
    Many like Brothers and you should be able to get a good one for that price. I would not get one with the embroidery, I made that mistake...and returned it,

Blog Entries
    Several department stores carry entry level machines with a few decorative stitches for around $150 to $200.

Blog Entries
    My "back-up" sewing machine is a Brother CE5000 Project Runway model. It came from Walmart and was very reasonable in price. (under $120). It has lots of decorative stitches. I enjoyed using it while I was waiting to get enough money for the BabyLock I wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by carolaug
    Many like Brothers and you should be able to get a good one for that price. I would not get one with the embroidery, I made that mistake...and returned it,
    Yeah, that embroidery stuff looks neat, but I don't want to get too much on a machine. It's just more stuff I could break. I'm talented like that, lol.

Blog Entries
    Check out Kenmore machines. They have nice machines in that price range. And I think they are made by Janome.

Quote Originally Posted by dellareya
    My "back-up" sewing machine is a Brother CE5000 Project Runway model. It came from Walmart and was very reasonable in price. (under $120). It has lots of decorative stitches. I enjoyed using it while I was waiting to get enough money for the BabyLock I wanted.
    Thanks! So what you're saying is, there will be money left over for some new fabric? I like the way you think! :)

You should check out your local Craigs List for a Singer 301, 401 etc. Those are great machines and won't cost a fortune. And are so much better built than the cheap, plastic ones you'd otherwise be looking at.

Quote Originally Posted by SherriB
    Check out Kenmore machines. They have nice machines in that price range. And I think they are made by Janome.
    Good to know. Is that the Sears brand? I think I actually have a Sears gift card around here somewhere, too.

Quote Originally Posted by jkwynn
    Quote Originally Posted by SherriB
    Good to know. Is that the Sears brand? I think I actually have a Sears gift card around here somewhere, too.
    Kenmore is carried and sold by Sears. It is not made by Janome, but is made by Janome specifications.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast