Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me find a way to end a perfect 1/4" seem.

Hi, Gals.

Help me find a way to end my 1/4" seams dead on. I am 90% a thread or two either right or left of the seam. I will appreciate all the help I can get and I will try all your suggestions.

Quilting Bud, Bernice

Blog Entries
    I'm so dense that I'm not sure what you mean by "end" your seam.

I use the seam ripper to hold the tails when I am coming to the end of the pieces to keep them from twisting and getting off of the 1/4" (if that is what you mean)..I've also used the blud painters tape to but the fabric up against (prior to getting the 1/4" foot).

I know what you mean, Bernice. Mine seem to shift a little at the end too. I'm waiting to see what the others suggest.

Banned
    i do the same as sandpat, i use my seam ripper to keep the pieces together as they feed thru.

i also have a 1/4 foot for my sewing machine that has a side plate that keeps the fabric from shifting to the right, i only have to keep the end points together and make sure they don't shift to the left.

Power Poster
    I've read about getting a throat plate (?) that just has a small hole like the old-fashioned straight-stitch only machines.

I don't know if it works or not.

I think Eleanor Burns always uses a stilleto to hang on to the end of the seam as it approaches the needle.

Blog Entries
    I too have the same problem........seems like when I get to the end of a seam I swerve off to the right. I will try to use the seam ripper to hold the material in place also.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Everything about my seams got better when I was introduced to the miracle of starch. None of those little ends get away from me so badly now that I starch everything into cardboard.

I use a stilleto and works for me. I got my from nancy's notions for 5 bucks and free shipping.

Power Poster
    You could even use a darning needle, an ice pick, or just a sturdy pin. Depends on how "frugal" one is/or has to be.

I also use a 1/4 inch foot and seam ripper to keep to the correct seam width. One thing I've noticed when chain piecing--I tend to reach for the next piece before I get to the end of the piece I'm sewing. This can cause me to "veer off" some. Now I slow down, reach the end of the piece I'm sewing and then grab the next piece to place. Hope this helps-oh, and keep practicing!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast