Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help me off this fence.... >

Help me off this fence....

Help me off this fence....

Old 07-02-2011, 06:52 AM

I'm very interested in getting an embroidery machine, and have pretty much settled on a Janome 350E ....price is my main concern and my question is does it enhance your quilting all that much or do you find that you do projects other than quilting that would justify having one? Five yrs ago I'd never guess I'm into quilting this much, ...five years from now with another machine, am I again going to be surprised?? and did you get classes from your provider????...lots of questions for me...H E L P....Love this board
Old 07-02-2011, 06:59 AM
Banned

I like my embroidery for my quilting. I've made a lot of baby quilts with embroidereed blocks, and I do all of my quilt labels with embroidery. For me, It's not a necessity, but is sure is a "nice to have".
Old 07-02-2011, 07:01 AM
Power Poster

Do I hear you! I'm on that same fence!!! I've been looking at them for months and can't figure out if I'll use it all that much. I have money put aside for one but I really don't want to spend more than a few hundred. I'm going to follow this.
Thanks for bringing it up!
Old 07-02-2011, 07:01 AM

After buying a BabyLock embroidery machine several years ago, I found that I enjoy doing handwork instead so I ended up using my embroidery machine for straight sewing. It does make great buttonholes, though.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:08 AM

I originally bought my Janome 350E thinking it would be useful in quilting, but I only use it now in other types of projects. I do enjoy the embroidery machine but not for quilting.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:13 AM

I bought an embroidery machine on "accident" years ago, then when my original workhorse machine died, I pulled it out and am using it as my piecing machine.

Still haven't embroidered on it, but I've got grand plans! :lol:
Old 07-02-2011, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by csharp
I'm very interested in getting an embroidery machine, and have pretty much settled on a Janome 350E ....price is my main concern and my question is does it enhance your quilting all that much or do you find that you do projects other than quilting that would justify having one? Five yrs ago I'd never guess I'm into quilting this much, ...five years from now with another machine, am I again going to be surprised?? and did you get classes from your provider????...lots of questions for me...H E L P....Love this board
First, my number one suggestion is to purchase where you get classes and can always ask for help as new things come up. I have a Brother embroidery/sewing machine but then bought a Brother sewing machine so can sew while embroidering and don't have to convert the embroidery machine for sewing.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:43 AM

It was a mistake buying my embroidery machine. I end up piecing or fmq on it, rarely do I do any embroidery. Never will I embroider enough to justify the expense. Should have just bought a quilting machine.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:51 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Rebecca VLQ
I bought an embroidery machine on "accident" years ago, then when my original workhorse machine died, I pulled it out and am using it as my piecing machine.

Still haven't embroidered on it, but I've got grand plans! :lol:
Same here. My family bought it for a gift but I would have been happier with a regular machine. i keep thinking how much they must have paid for it and I never use it for its purpose.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:58 AM

I have the Janome 10001 emb. machine. Love, love, love it. I do regular pcing on it as well as emb. I have emb. shirts, pocketbooks, quilts and many other things. I have a smaller janome to take to quilt groups/classes. But the cost is not just in the machine. In all fairness you then need the extras to go with it. Stablaizer, emb thread, hoops and other things. Good Luck in whatever you choose, OH and your dealer is the most important thing as you will rely on him for info.