Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help me please find a great pattern... >

Help me please find a great pattern...

Help me please find a great pattern...

Old 03-20-2012, 05:22 AM

I am sorry for your sisters diagnosis, and pray all will go well for her. As for a quilt pattern, may I suggest "Happy Daisies" It is such a colorful, happy quilt. There are several photos here on the board, and I believe one of the kind people here offered her pattern. Best wished to you and your sister.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:36 AM

I agree with several already who recommend fabric designs or patterns of thngs that maker her feel safe, connected, "filled" with things that make her happy or centered. In the period of three and a half months our guild had eight members diagnosed with breast cancer; our guild also has breast cancer survivors who were an immeasurable source of strength and hope and recovery to these ladies, my friends, our "sisters of the cloth." All of the survivors shared they wanted nothing to do with pink ribbons until their first anniversary of survival - I'd keep that in mind for sure.

Another thought - since the process is five years, I'd think about five borders (or six, for that 1st anniversary) and maybe think about appliqueing little things in each border as that year-in-progress is happening, maybe it could be appliqued while the chemo is going on as you sit with her. I am a firm believer in holding the space for what can be, and creating a quilt with five or six borders does that. BUT each recovery and patient is different, so I offer these ideas with many prayers for your sister's success in the years to come.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:56 AM

Why not make it of things she loved as a child? Reminders of things like that could very well bring back happy, wonderful memories for her. Add in some things you fought over as sisters maybe, or fabrics of things to remind her of things you did together? My sister and I used to fight over doing the dishes, so I'd include some fabric like that. It's what I would do if she was my sister!

My prayers are with both of you.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:06 AM

I just made one for a dear friend and used the idea of those who make up her support system - faith, family, and friends. I used a stained glass looking panel for Faith, pictures of her family for Family, and had her students and other friends tie the quilt. Best of luck to both of you. I love to tell people about my 82 year old mother who survived breast cancer 33 years ago - she's trucking along just great - playing with her great-grandchildren. She had the radical surgery everyone did at the time and lymph node removal because the cancer had spread there. Here's where I talked about it. http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...s-t182141.html
Old 03-20-2012, 08:02 AM

I agree Happy Daisies would be perfect!
Old 03-20-2012, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by zennia View Post

too much white for me, but it would be simple to make the white stripes within the quilt using more jelly rolls.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:09 AM

After going through breast cancer, chemo and radiation this last year - I agree, go with colors and maybe a theme she loves. I happened to be one of those who got an adversion to pink and did not want anything pink. Still have a hard time wearing pink. I'll be remembering your sister in my prayers and also your family. She will need your support through this difficult time.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:36 AM

The Seattle Streets pattern makes a beautiful floral quilt. There are so many. I agree with others - find a fabric line that speaks to what she enjoys! Prayers going her way!!
Old 03-21-2012, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by MyMoose2 View Post
I want to make it positive and colorful. I need suggestions. The whole thing is a bit overwhelming right now. Any help is most appreciated.

Thanks, Elizabeth
Ok, first, breathe. Ask her - or her significant other etc what her favorite colors are. Take your favorite block, and "blow it up" - so the bock is 40 in square etc. Then you need a strip across the top and bottom. You can add her name on the bottom. Across the top, I would add some squares of clear vinyl, sewed on 3 sides, leaving the top open. She can slip in and change her favorite photos to have and look at during her treatments. I love to design using EQ7. If you want, feel free to PM me with a block, colors and size and I can draft a pattern for you in a matter of minutes. You will get a cutting chart, directions, yardage, and PDF of pattern showing colors you suggest - no charge, happy to do it. God bless you and your family.
Johanna in WI
Old 03-21-2012, 05:10 AM
Power Poster

Prayers for a complete recovery. Pick colors etc that she likes for starters. If she loves cats...get cat prints, roses...rose prints, etc then base pattern on what you are using.