Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help me!! >

Help me!!

Help me!!

Old 05-17-2012, 03:56 AM

Unhappy Help me!!

My problem is that I just finished a baby quilt and backed it with cuddle fleece. I have done quilts like this before. Never a problem. I ran it through the gentle cycle to remove markings and freshen up before giving it to the new mom. Here is the problem LINT!! I can not remove all of the lint. I have washed and dried it 3 times and the lint is EVERYWHERE!. I can't give a quilt that will be washed a lot that has to be de- linted every time. What can I do! I have never had a lint problem after the 1st washing. Any suggestions?
Old 05-17-2012, 04:06 AM

Wow! I've never had this problem so any solution I could give would be pure speculation. Is the lint coming from the quilt or are you washing it with other things that are giving off the lint? I can't imagine cuddle fleece giving off that much lint but I've never used it on a quilt back. Perhaps that is the problem. I would think that the lint would stop or at least slow down once it's gone through a wash and dry cycle. But three times??? Just don't know. I'd try using a clothes brush or masking tape and then see what happens.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:41 AM
Power Poster

Is it a different brand of fleece? If so I would talk to salesperson or shop owner for a solution.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:01 AM
Power Poster

Sorry I can't think of anything to help. Is the top chenille? Chenille produces a lot of lint but it usually stops after a couple of washes. If it still looks good, you could gift it and just add a little note saying it will produce lint when washed. I've included a note and colour catchers with a new quilt if I am not sure how it will be washed. I always pre-wash a bright coloured quilt to see if there are any problems but other people may wash it differently so I include a care note.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:19 PM

Are you using fabric softener? Maybe it would help keep the lint from sticking so much.
Old 05-18-2012, 12:20 AM

Wow, so sorry this has happened to you! Is it possible to cover the fleece backing with a tightly woven (maybe batik?) fabric? I was thinking maybe hand stitching it all along the edge of the binding on the back. That would contain the lint that comes off the fleece, if that is where the lint is coming from. You might be able to take some tacking stitches in it which don't go through to the front, here and there, just so the new backing is not loose all over.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:07 AM

It is washed only by itself. I used a lint brush roller and de-linted it between washing and still a ton of lint. I am not sure if it the brand of cuddle fleece or not. I made a small lap quilt out of upholstery fabric and backed it with cuddle fleece and had no issues. The quilt top is just cotton. I guess I will have to start over thanks
Old 05-19-2012, 04:42 AM

at least the quilt top is good. what a heartbreak to have the backing cause such a problem! i think the fabric needs to go back to the store. if it's a new line they're stocking, they'll want to know! so sorry!
Old 05-19-2012, 06:11 AM
j

If the lint doesnt stop, the fuzz will bother the baby, I would think. - J
Old 05-19-2012, 06:28 AM

What color is the quilt fabric? Many times a light batting will beard through to bright or especially dark colors.
Just a suggestion. Keep the batting color close to the fabric color as you can.