Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me, Wise Persons of the QB!!

Senior Member Sarah in Brooklyn's Avatar

Help me, Wise Persons of the QB!!

So I'm trying to practice my FMQ, and it's pretty ugly, but tonight something happened that I can't explain. I've just figured out how to bring up the bobbin thread. I'm working on these silly potholders I made to give to family. So I bring up the bobbin thread and work on a nice spiral design, but when I look at the back, it's all thread nests and horrible! What did I do wrong? I thought that if the bobbin thread was up that wasn't supposed to happen! I've thrown away about half a spool of thread - it happened twice! I'm going to bed now but I hope in the morning you will all tell me what I'm doing wrong.

One guess might be that you didn't put your presser foot down before you started sewing. I know you will get lots of good suggestions from our board!!

Blog Entries
    You need to adjust your tension. Try a few scrap pieces with FMQ and see if that helps. Also re thread your machine that has solved my problems many times.

Power Poster
    A good night sleep will work wonders. You can tackle it fresh in the morning and it sounds like tension problem that you may have to fiddle with. The Superior Thread co has a nice diagram for how to get a balance stitch and I use it so often that I printed it out for myself. It has the little stick figures that tell which tension you need to adjust. It could also be what you are trying to quilt through. Before doing any FMQ I always try a sample on a scrap sandwich of the same fabric and just sew a straight line to check the stitches. As someone mentioned, you have to put the foot down even though it doesn't rest on the fabric to engage the tension on the upper thread.

Blog Entries
    Like already mentioned, it seems like it has to either be the presser foot not down, or the upper tension needs to be tightened, or maybe even just needs to be re-threaded. Keep at it, you'll be fine!
    Wendy

Blog Entries
    You mention learning how to bring the bobbin thread up, but you don't mention holding both threads tightly when you start quilting. Are you doing that?

Blog Entries
    My machine always throws a tantrum and I have a horrible mess on the back when the needle needs changing. Do you have a new needle in the machine?
    The biggest risk is the one not taken

Senior Member Sarah in Brooklyn's Avatar
    These are all great ideas and I will tackle it again when I get home from work. It could well be the presser foot - I'm not sure I had it down. I will let you know - thanks so much!

I can't help you since I hand quilt.

Happens to me when the bobbin is not in correctly. Turning from the wrong way perhaps?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast