Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help! Melted fabric onto my iron! >

Help! Melted fabric onto my iron!

Help! Melted fabric onto my iron!

Old 07-08-2014, 05:42 AM

I do a lot of T-shirt quilts. I bought 2 pressing sheets ( Teflon non-stick) to use. I put pressing sheet down on the ironing board. Then lay down the t-shirt, print side down on the press sheet, then the fuse web ( pelon 906f) with sticky side down on shirt. Then a damp piece of thin muslin. ( I put it in a pan of water and squeeze out as much water as possible)That will help the fusing process. Then put another pressing sheet on top of the stack.
The pressing sheets have been well worth the price. The ironing board and the iron are always clean.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:12 AM

I heat up the iron till it is on its highest setting. Then, drape a damp washcloth (that you never want to use again) on the edge of your ironing board. Scrape the iron against the washcloth, over and over until it is gone. I just keep moving the washcloth until it is full of melted fabric. The steam holes can be a problem but q-tips will help some. Be careful with the magic erasers, because they are very abrasive. I use them all the time, but I keep their abrasive quality in mind. By the way, when you do get the pressing sheets, hide them. In this latest move to another state, I found my husband using one to "protect" an art print he had rolled up. When I asked him if he knew how much it cost, of course he claimed he didn't. No, I didn't actually tell him! I just told him it was expensive, and yanked it back!
Old 07-08-2014, 10:20 AM

That same crazy person was at my house and used my NEW iron. I plugged it in and cleaned it off with a used dryer
sheet. Cooled the iron and heated it up and used old fabric softner sheet. Cooled it off again and used old fabric and there was no mess. It could be that it needs to be a used dryer sheet
Old 07-08-2014, 10:38 AM
Power Poster

That little Gremlin who attacked your iron should be shot. Just kidding. I've used a couple different cleaners made expressly for cleaning irons. Also, putting salt on waxed paper helps too. Just be patient and it does come off, been there, done that.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Libster View Post
Been there, done that too!! I use Dritz Iron-Off hot iron cleaner. It's always worked for me. It'll be messy getting it off, but sure beats buying a new iron. Just follow the directions on the tube. I either got mine at Walmart or Joanns, not sure which. Shouldn't be hard to find.
Dritz is a miracle worker. My DB melted heavy duty vynil on my favorite iron. I heated it up and melted off as much as I could on an old towel. Followed instructions on the Dritz box and wa-la good as new. It's so hard to believe that they let 'crazy' people wander about without supervision. LOL
Old 07-08-2014, 05:04 PM

Freezing your iron! That's would probably work! I have used every method mentioned and they all work to some degree. I have had this problem many a time. You think I would learn by know. For me it usually the wrong side of fusible web that gets me.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:45 PM

My first thought was to put the iron in the freezer overnight. Then try to scrape it off with a Teflon scraper. It should be brittle enough to flake off. Good luck.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:33 AM

Try heating it up a bit and wiping it on a new dryer sheet, worked for me, really was amazing and most people have them around, good luck.
Old 07-09-2014, 04:35 PM

Dritz Iron-Off is a life saver!
Old 07-13-2014, 03:54 PM

I have used the Mr. Clean erasers with good luck in these issues.