Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
help with memory quilt >

help with memory quilt

help with memory quilt

Old 09-20-2013, 11:07 AM

Default help with memory quilt

I am making a memory quilt for a friend. She has lots of emblems, hats, ties, etch. She wants a piece of every shirt somehow in the quilt... My first thought was a log cabin, then I could use strips of many shirts.... My dilemma.... the knit shirts I will fuse with stabilizer, how about the cotton shirts??? what is the best way to cut them...?? If anyone has had experience or has suggestions I would really appreciate them. Quilter 1234
Old 09-20-2013, 11:57 AM

I also used stabilizer on my mom's knit shirts and shorts. Didn't use it on the cottons. I cut all the clothes at the seams, pressed the pieces, then determined how best to cut them. I didn't give a hoot about grain or anything else. Cut pieces every which-way. It all worked out just fine. I had 5 quilts to make with those clothes, and used every stitch of fabric from them I could. Just go for it!

Last edited by cindi; 09-20-2013 at 11:59 AM.
Old 09-20-2013, 03:25 PM

I did a tshirt memory quilt and was given some plaid shirts to include if possible. One plaid was especially thin, so I did fuse that one, but the others were sturdy enought. I had no problems combining fused tshirts with quilting cottons (sashings and borders) and the plaids (2nd border). I have made attic windows with the shirts being the window...shadow blocks and just squares with sashings and corner stones. I have a hard time getting motivated, but when I get started they are kind of like a puzzle!

here is a picture of the shadow quilt
Attached Thumbnails shadowtshirt.jpg  
Old 09-20-2013, 04:42 PM

I have a memory quilt in progress and the squares of fabrics were quite the variety....plaid cotton shorts, cotton knit shirts, velour robe. I added stabilizer to all of them so the thickness was similar....didn't like the difference in the way they felt without stabilizer.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:59 PM

wow Soccertxi... I love this. I will post a photo when I finish my first.
thanks everyone
Old 09-25-2013, 04:02 PM

I'm new at this and while I feel a little silly asking, but I won't know if I don't ask and that I know of, I've never been laughed at (LOL), so what is a memory quilt?
Old 09-27-2013, 12:25 AM

A memory quilt is a quilt made from the clothes of someone who has passed away. You cut up the clothes and make them into quilts. They are definitely a labor of love! I made one for each of my siblings and aunts when my mom died. I was able to get six quilts from my mom's clothing.