Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Help with Monofilament thread

Blog Entries

Help with Monofilament thread

I have 10 year old monofilment thread that came with my Janome. I just read posts about doing "hand stitching" effect using your machine and want to try it and it calls for using monofilament thread on top, and color contrasting thread in the bobbin. Problem is, can I still use the 10 year old monofilament thread? I don't want to cause my Janome any "hiccups" with bits of the thread that may get stuff in places I cannot see. Any advise???
    If life gives you lemons, make a margarita.

first off- threads have changed alot in 10 years- is it like fishing line? going to be poky-if a thread breaks? stretches, melts when touched with an iron?
    if any of these things are true i would not use it-
    if it is soft (like thread) does not melt when touched with the iron, does not poke like a piece of fishing line/wire you could try it. some of the invisible threads from back then were pretty horrible- and they stretch & break if you sew too fast- cause puckering-
    you might want to do some research on the differences in invisible threads and make sure you have one that is right for your project- some are much better suited for wallhangings/ some are ok for used items (like bed quilts)
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I agree completely with ckcowl. I've found that the newer monofilament threads (made of polyester or rayon) are much better than the older ones made of nylon.

Please let us know if you master this stitch! I've been trying it with a clear poly thread, but so far no luck. I have seen others with the Janome 6600P that have had success, but I'm not one of them, wish I were!

Lived in San Diego now retired in Eagar, AZ.
    Blog Entries
    i never use it... i don't care how soft it is now, it's still fishing line, by definition, 'monofilament' and it can cut thru metal over time... there are thousands of wonderful threads out there ... try Superior Threads

have been using sulky brand it is made of poly does not melt average self life for thread is 15 years

Blog Entries
    I have never used it. My biggest concern is how will it be in the quilt in 15 years. Will it slowly fall apart or start breaking down if it's shelf life is only 15years?
    Traveler53

So Much Fabric, So Little Time