Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Help! My Flying Geese are lumpy!

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray
    I think you've got them about as good as they can get.
    Wow, that was fast! Thanks for your encouragement, much appreciated! :-)

Lumpy in CO

I believe it was decided the open seam myth was true when the seams were hand stitched but since it is a machine seam it will be fine open. this will reduce the bulk in those areas. Give it a try.

Power Poster
    try it on the next one you make - don't pick this block apart - press the seams open on the next one you do and see what happens

in fact, there is no rule anymore that one has to press ALL the seams in a given block any particular way

If you get too aggressive with your steam iron, it might be best to just let it lie, (or is that "lay"?) ... but, steam will help the fabric relax a bit, I guess.
    Either steam or no is a personal preference, but steam is a grand equalizer.
    And, as bearisgray said, seams lying to one side did make a stronger piecing, when the piecing was done by hand.

Quote Originally Posted by kwhite
    I believe it was decided the open seam myth was true when the seams were hand stitched but since it is a machine seam it will be fine open. this will reduce the bulk in those areas. Give it a try.
    Thanks, I will.

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray
    try it on the next one you make - don't pick this block apart - press the seams open on the next one you do and see what happens

in fact, there is no rule anymore that one has to press ALL the seams in a given block any particular way
    No worry, I won't be picking this one apart any further, had enough fun already. I do have one more of the same block to do, so will give this open seam thing a try and report back.

Oh, BTW, I just noticed the name of this block is "Mosaic". It is one of many that are in a Moda U sampler I'm working on.

Thanks, Karla

Your block looks great. I can see where there may be a bit of bulk, but it still seems to lie flat.

Quote Originally Posted by omak
    If you get too aggressive with your steam iron, it might be best to just let it lie, (or is that "lay"?) ... but, steam will help the fabric relax a bit, I guess.
    Either steam or no is a personal preference, but steam is a grand equalizer.
    And, as bearisgray said, seams lying to one side did make a stronger piecing, when the piecing was done by hand.
    No worry, I'm not agressive about too much these days. Yes, I can see how what she said does make sense. As I mentioned above, I do have one more of these to make, so will definitely give it a try. I will try a bit more steam on those center seams that I've already done, too. Thanks so much!

Pressing on... Karla in CO

Quote Originally Posted by littlehud
    Your block looks great. I can see where there may be a bit of bulk, but it still seems to lie flat.
    Thanks! I'm guessing it feels worse than it looks. :-)

Happy Stitchin', Karla in CO

I would open the seams and steam the heck out of the points. I do it all the time for points. I am also one that has used steam and dry iron. I use what it takes to get the job done.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast