Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HELP! My 'Log Cabin' is falling down : ( >

HELP! My 'Log Cabin' is falling down : (

HELP! My 'Log Cabin' is falling down : (

Old 09-15-2015, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by twinkie View Post
Don't know why as I am not that good at doing quilts but I didn't have that problem when I did mine. I did buy some
log cabin blocks done in purple because they looked beautiful and purple was my favorite color. These blocks are way out of whack and I still haven't decided how to fix them. Many times, what looks like a real bargain is NOT. Still have them and I am very interested in the suggestions on how to fix them.
I am not a fan of "wonky" as it smacks of laziness to me BUT how "bout making more purple blocks waaay wonky and using your bargain blocks that way?

Or turn them into a dog bed quilt? Dogs don't care if things aren't perfect!
Old 09-15-2015, 10:51 AM

I do as Krafty14 does - cut all the strips to the exact size needed and then make them fit as you sew. I can see the potential for very wonky blocks if you use long strips and cut them after they're sewn together. That would be a bad idea for me.
Old 09-15-2015, 02:47 PM

This is exactly why I haven't done a log cabin. YET!!!! My mind goes in too many directions when I quilt. THere is always distractions. Messes me up every time.
Old 09-16-2015, 04:22 AM

Stitchripper, I use Eleanor Burns method also and never have any trouble and have made lots of log cabin quilts
Old 09-16-2015, 09:32 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

When I teach log cabin classes, I encourage squaring up after EACH round (that is, the addition of 4 logs) using the Bias 8 Square ruler from Martingale-That Patchwork Place until the block becomes large enough to use a 12" square. The lines of the Bias 8 are particularly suited to trimming minute amounts from each side of a block to make all blocks the same size at each round.

I do this because the piecing of the traditional log cabin block is in concentric circles.......those who have done any needlepoint embroidery, for instance, realize that when you piece or sew like this, it tends to cause the finished piece (in this case, the block) to slant a bit and pull out of square.

This process makes creating the blocks a bit more time consuming, BUT, having ALL the blocks exactly the same size square, makes setting the blocks together go SO much faster and easier!

Jan in VA
Attached Thumbnails squaring-up-block.jpg  
Old 09-19-2015, 09:14 AM

This is the only way my log cabin blocks are always the same size. I cut my strips to size, finger press each strip as I add them. Press only the back of the block with up and down motion when block is finished never the front, it will stretch! Sometimes I will get a block maybe 1/4 -1/2 in off, those I wet and block to size. Works for me, only had to do 3 in queen size log cabin.