Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help needed with fabric raveling >

Help needed with fabric raveling

Help needed with fabric raveling

Old 10-06-2015, 07:46 AM
Power Poster

Inexpensive gift boxes would work for projects also. I just make sure I label the front and top of the box. If you've watched Bonnie Hunter and I'm sure many other quilters, they use trays to put their cut piecing on. Like another project tray. Less handling is best, I guess.
Old 10-07-2015, 02:53 AM

thank you all for your replies, I am as perplexed as ever. All of my fabric comes from LQS' so the quality is not the problem. I never buy from Joann's since I find that most of their fabric is very thin and not good quality. I used to have a lot of trouble with the Moda Bellas and I wrote to the company. They told me that the manufacturing process they use to make the fabric feel smooth sometimes causes the fraying. I have a dedicated sewing room so handling the blocks is not an issue.
Old 10-07-2015, 03:43 AM
Power Poster

I stocked up on plain white gift boxes yesterday at Walmart. The Christmas stuff is out now. I use the boxes to hold projects for classes and workshops during the year. They are handy and easy to store when flat.
Old 10-07-2015, 03:55 AM
Vat

My best guess would be that you are not starching stiff enough. I have very little raveling when I piece my tops. And when I press the seams they are really flat. I use Sta-Flo starch mixed half with water. I buy it at Walmart and I should own stock in the company. I dampen all my fabric (if there is yardage I put it in on a rinse cycle in the washing machine). Before it has time to dry I spray it with the Sta-Flo and allow it to dry. Then I press it. Believe it or not I have very little reveling. Then cut out your pieces, I think you will be amazed with you end results.
Old 10-07-2015, 01:30 PM

I use a lot of different manufacturers fabrics and have found that each one can have an "off" fabric. There was a short time that some high end Moda's raveled if you looked at them. I did one simple quilt and was not sure it would even last to be quilted let alone washed. I just had one neutral print that was very touchy and raveled but not as much as that bad Moda batch.

Now I can tell a lot by feel. Thin and soft when right off the bolt high end fabrics are most often the culprits because their thread count can be very low. Using sizing and starch can help but trying to stick with sturdier fabric is best. Being easy and kind to your fabrics and pieces is also necessary. No pulling, stretching, putting away pieces in a messy way, constant ironing, and excessive handling can also ravel edges. Cut, pin and sew with as little manipulation as possible.
Old 10-07-2015, 03:53 PM

I've had that problem with solids no matter who the manufacturer, but not with prints. I don't what the solution is except to use a smaller stitch length to make the seam hold nicely.
Old 10-07-2015, 05:02 PM

I have also noticed this on Kona Cotton and was surprise at this because it is a better grade of cotton.
Old 10-07-2015, 06:14 PM

I've noticed when quilting that the solids seem to ravel more. As far as rotary pinking--be careful--those blades really do a number on your mat (unfortunately learned the hard way!).
Old 10-07-2015, 10:26 PM

I agree with Vat that heavily starching the fabric is probably your best bet. Pinking does help, but it's not a complete deterrent to fraying.

Unfortunately, I've found that the handling involved in trimming, trimming, trimming those straggly threads actually just makes the fabric unravel more. Unless they are really getting caught up in my seams or are getting knotted in my machine or something, I try to just leave them be & then do one trim immediately before layering my quilt sandwich. Hard to ignore them, but it seems to help.
Old 10-08-2015, 03:19 AM

I have problems with white fabric. It frays like crazy.