Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help Needed for Ohio Square Blocks >

Help Needed for Ohio Square Blocks

Help Needed for Ohio Square Blocks

Old 03-04-2011, 05:25 PM

Well, I've spent the past couple of days going through a lot of fabric and all my senses in trying to come up with the largest size possible of Ohio Star blocks ... here's my problem. I have been tasked to make two quilts for an auction next month so I have to get on it and I've already wasted a whole week trying to come up with a plan or two.

My real problem right now is this: I want to use my new Accuquilt cutter die - but I can't figure out for the life of me what size squares to cut. As an example, (for the middle square and the four corner squares) I started out with a six inch square. I'm now settled on a five inch middle if possible. Here's where I get off the track.

If I want to use the half square triangle method to make the hour glass, (two pcs of fabric together and sewn on both sides down the middle, cut, then turned and sewn down both sides of the middle again)- and I do want to use it as I think it's the fastest way to get this done, my question is: What size die must be used to make the two squares into an hourglass to fit on to a 5-inch middle?

So, I will need TWO dies, one a five inch, and one a ? inch?
Help please - my sanity depends on this. The number of half finished blocks and the amount of scraps that are now scattered about my sewing room attests to that.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:34 PM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Wish I could help you with this but right now my mind is drawing a blank screen. All I can say is for you to play around with it til you get the size needed. That's what I do when I have trouble figuring something out. Good luck!!
Old 03-05-2011, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by gingerella

My real problem right now is this: I want to use my new Accuquilt cutter die - but I can't figure out for the life of me what size squares to cut. As an example, (for the middle square and the four corner squares) I started out with a six inch square. I'm now settled on a five inch middle if possible. Here's where I get off the track.

If I want to use the half square triangle method to make the hour glass, (two pcs of fabric together and sewn on both sides down the middle, cut, then turned and sewn down both sides of the middle again)- and I do want to use it as I think it's the fastest way to get this done, my question is: What size die must be used to make the two squares into an hourglass to fit on to a 5-inch middle?

So, I will need TWO dies, one a five inch, and one a ? inch?
Help please - my sanity depends on this. The number of half finished blocks and the amount of scraps that are now scattered about my sewing room attests to that.
Gingerella, There are a number of variants on Ohio Star. If you PM me with an image and let me know whether the 5" is your finished measurement or including seam allowance, I can work it out for you.

Diana