Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help needed! >

Help needed!

Help needed!

Old 11-14-2012, 05:05 AM

Do lots of research and try them out. I have two Husqvarna Vikings, a 910 and a 936. The 936 is nearly always set up for the cover stitch. I make a lot of fleece throws for charity and use the 910 for that. I used to do a lot of apparel sewing for the DGKs and myself, but now I just do the throws and pillowcases. The threading is the most annoying thing about the Vikings, but they are workhorses and I do love them. Just make sure you get your machine cleaned yearly if you do a lot of sewing with fleece or flannel. Mine seized up on me, thought the motor had gone, but it was just packed with lint way inside. Doesn't matter how well you clean what you can see, the fuzz migrates way inside.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:37 AM

Go to some local shops and try out various brands - find out if they offer classes on their machines. I believe classes and support far outweigh most other features!
Old 11-14-2012, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by Toni C View Post
Baby Lock with the burst of air threader.What a nice machine.Won't sit there like allot of sergers because of threading problems. Like Mawluv said get the best you can afford.
I agree with Baby Lock. They are so easy to thread with the air threader. I have the Baby Lock Imagine and LOVE it!
Old 11-14-2012, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by Toni C View Post
Baby Lock with the burst of air threader.What a nice machine.Won't sit there like allot of sergers because of threading problems. Like Mawluv said get the best you can afford.
I have this and love it!!! It can do so many stitches, cover stitch as well as serging! Well worth the high price tag!
Old 11-14-2012, 06:14 AM

I just don't think a serger is used enough to make the purchase worth while (?)
I've seen many posts here about purchasing a serger, and it sits on the shelf and never used.
Are you sure you will use a serger enough to account for the purchase price?
Old 11-14-2012, 06:21 AM

Agreed - the new burst of air self-threaders are nice, though I often go back to my White Superlock 2000....just can't part with it. The color coding for threading makes it relatively simple to set up. Either way, go for the best you can afford and don't let it sit on the shelf!! Don't be intimidated by it. You will not regret your purchase - best of luck!
Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Whatever you get, make sure it's a self-threader!
Old 11-14-2012, 06:59 AM

I don't see the question asked, what do you plan on using a serger for? Not all sergers are alike. Decide what all you want to do with one and buy the best one you can afford. I agree Babylock makes a great machine. Try them all out.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:01 AM

Definitely the Baby Lock self threader. So easy even a novice can do it.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:20 AM

When I bought mine White was the machine of choice so I bought one. Took it out of the box and put it in the rolling carrier and have never had it out again. Just seemed to complicated and intimindating. I would like to sell it as it has never been used. Still is threaded with the factory thread.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:45 AM

I have the Babylock Imagine which is a self threader and uses 4 spools of thread. You need to have a dealer demo some models and decide what you want now and what you will want in the future. GET A SELF THREADER. SAVE THE CUSSING! SAVE THE FRUSTRATION! SAVE THE DOWN TIME! and when things go completely wrong on the wrong day, save the crying! The more advanced models with more spools do things that don't even look like serger sewing.

Last edited by TanyaL; 11-14-2012 at 07:47 AM.