Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help needed! >

Help needed!

Help needed!

Old 11-15-2012, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Toni C View Post
Baby Lock with the burst of air threader.What a nice machine.Won't sit there like allot of sergers because of threading problems. Like Mawluv said get the best you can afford.
If I had to do it over again, I would do Baby Lock with the burst of air threader. I have a low end Bernina serger but sometimes the rethreading is a pain when I have to use a flashlight and stand on my head to see everything!
Old 11-15-2012, 09:05 PM

I have the babylock Evolution with air threading and coverstitch. I have to say it is solid, does wonderful stitches, whenever there is a problem it is user error. There is a pretty steep learning curve but this machine is a good one. The main drawback is the price. I did a lot of calling around, comparison shopping etc. and paid $2000 for mine (18 months ago) but the prices I see right now are close to double that. To be honest, I don't use it enough to justify what I paid for it let alone what it costs now. So, if money is no object I think the Evolution or the Evolve stand alone. Otherwise I would look for some of the other models suggested. I've heard, though I have no experience, that Brother is a good choice.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:14 PM

One criticism I have heard about the Evolution and other machines that are combination serger and coverstitch is that it has a wide foot that is difficult to manipulate. I've only used an Evolution, so I can't compare - it is a pretty wide foot that can be cumbersome on corners etc. But its all I know, and I really do love my Evolution. Incidently, I use the coverstitch a lot - both my husband and I are short so there are a lot of alterations, so I'm really glad I have it. But if you don't think you'd use it, maybe not worth the wide foot. Can someone else speak to this?

Last edited by Maggieloe; 11-15-2012 at 09:17 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:30 PM

I just purchased an Elna from a friend whose Mom went into a nursing home. It looked brand new, still had the original box and instructions, etc. Got it for $125. I found the original receipt and she had paid $1200. I just read the instructions and followed the guides on the machine and it wasn't a problem threading it. I played with it some and it sewed and cut great. Have been too busy quilting to get it out and really use it though. At the price, I just had to buy it.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:16 AM

Baby Lock, Love it.