Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
help with new sewing machine purchase!! >

help with new sewing machine purchase!!

help with new sewing machine purchase!!

Old 04-18-2015, 05:06 PM

Absolutely look at good used machines....I bought a used Janome 6600....it came with lots of accessories, classes on machine use, discounts and such....lots of people trade in their machines for the newest thing out there.....find a machine dealer out there who will work with you on what "gotta have" features you need in your price range....you might be surprised....if the dealer doesn't want to work with you, walk away....you don't have to spend thousands on a machine to be able to sew quilts....the cheapie brother machines from Walmart will sew fine, but they won't last long, nor will the newer Singer machines.....I've gone through 3 cheap brother machines before I realized I was wasting my money....buy a good quality machine and it will last you years, even buying a used one....good luck in your search.
Old 04-18-2015, 09:27 PM

I have $20-$50 vintage machines that I love along with a super expensive, newer Bernina 830. Why do you have to spend hundreds/thousands if you don't have it? But a used machine or better yet, a vintage one and it will outlive you.
Old 04-18-2015, 10:08 PM

Check out this machine. Read the reviews. It even has an automatic threader and an automatic thread cutter. I believe it's within your price range. It's great value for the price, IMO.

http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B000XE3FG...3OAE8A2J&psc=1

Good luck with your purchase and let us know what you decide.
Old 04-18-2015, 10:50 PM

The Brother PC-420 that Girlfriend linked to is a wonderful machine. I have the NV-400 which it is based on and it's perfect for taking to classes or open sew days at the quilt shop. You don't say which Janome you currently have, nor what additional features you're looking for, but Janome makes great machines - perhaps the best in their price range - I have a Jem Gold that I also love. My old eyes greatly appreciate the threader and thread cutter on the Brother though.
Old 04-19-2015, 12:28 AM

If you're on a limited budget, then it would make sense to stick with the same brand, then at least you'll know your feet, bobbins etc will fit (although I think Janome/Brother may be interchangeable).

You say your current machine is running fine, so I'm assuming there's some reason - more features perhaps - why you want a new machine. I made a list of the features I really wanted, followed by those I'd quite like before I purchased my second machine (three machines ago, lol).

The important thing is to buy the machine that will make you happy - budget and features. If you want more of the latter, then you may have to save some more. Good luck!
Old 04-19-2015, 03:58 AM

I just got an email from Viking, they have their basic machines for under 200, check around, you can find good machines alot cheaper especially if you don't want the emb machine.
Old 04-19-2015, 04:39 AM

A friend of mine checked with the repair man at a local sewing center, he had several repaired machines that had not been picked up for over 6 months,(the policy was after 6 months if the machines were not picked up unless other arrangements had been made, the machines could be sold)she bought a very nice Bernina for the cost of the repairs... you may want to check into something like that..
Old 04-19-2015, 04:48 AM

I purchased a Janome floor model from a small quilt shop to take to classes. A new one would have been $699 but I only paid $425. Love my little Janome!
Old 04-19-2015, 05:42 AM

thank you all so much for your responses. i don't need a whole lot of fancy stitches etc…i would like a few more "automatic" features etc…i think i should prob stick with janome since i do know and like the brand…I'm off today to check a few other local quilt stores -- thanks so much everyone for helping out…ill let u know!
Old 04-19-2015, 06:43 AM

http://www.amazon.com/HZL-G110-Compu...EY2J607XX1ABG9

I have heard good thinks about the Juki and Amazon has this one on sale right now. I looked at it but with with 4 vintage, a Kenmore from 70's, a Kenmore 19000 embroidery and brother SQ 9000 and two surgers, I am machined out as I have no space.
Let us know what you find.