Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help for a newbie >

Help for a newbie

Help for a newbie

Old 07-18-2011, 07:14 PM

Hi! I am getting ready to quilt my first quilt! I need some recommendations or suggestions. I have the entire thing basted with pins (several hundred of them!) and I plan on doing in-the-ditch quilting. My question is about removing the pins. Do I take those out as I quilt, or leave them in until the end? It didn't occur to me prior to basting, because I put all the pins in the ditch! The quilt is 73" w x 123" l.

Any recommendations or suggestions for making this a positive experience will be totally appreciated!
Old 07-18-2011, 07:15 PM

I never sew over a pin if I can help it, so I'd remove them as I stitched.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:19 PM

[quote=wmudg01]It didn't occur to me prior to basting, because I put all the pins in the ditch! The quilt is 73" w x 123" l. quote]

Well you learned that lesson quick!!! Brings back memories. How exciting that your quilting your first quilt. If you don't remove them as you quilt, you'll be sure to go thru many needles and pins getting stuck on the foot. Been there done that!! Can't wait for the post of when you're ready!! Have fun.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:21 PM

Yeah, I'm learning already! I just wasn't sure if it was OK to remove the pins as I stitch (the books don't really cover all of these topics) :)
Old 07-18-2011, 07:28 PM

I remember pinning my first quilt and not liking the process at all....it never felt like it was done right and when I quilted, I ended up with puckers on the backside....but after several not so nice experiences with pins, I tried spray basting and will never pin another quilt....It is so easy and fast.....there are several great sprays out there, I use June Tailor from Walmart....but must remember to spray lightly, a little goes a long way
Old 07-18-2011, 07:32 PM

A further inquiry.....I had intended on using invisible thread, but I'm not so certain that's needed with in-the-ditch. I have a multitude of different color fabric in the quilt, so I don't even know how to choose what color thread to use.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:40 PM

When quilting in the ditch on a multi-color top, I use a medium gray thread, and whatever color matches the best on the back Seems to work the best for me.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by scraphq
When quilting in the ditch on a multi-color top, I use a medium gray thread, and whatever color matches the best on the back Seems to work the best for me.
I do the same, enjoy you quilting and show us when your done.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:31 PM

I remove them as I go.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:49 PM

Are you planning on stitching right in the ditch --seam. I usually stitch just to the side of it to help take the stress off the seamline. And it makes a nice topstitching. Also you can use a decorative stitch over the seamline or along side of it. Don't sew over your pins, you could break them and your needle; and throw the timing off of your machine.