Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Help a Newbie :/ >
  • Help a Newbie :/

• Help a Newbie :/

Old 10-16-2012, 01:30 PM

I made this rag quilt using University of Michigan cotton fabric on the front and a layer of dark blue flannel as batting and a layer of gold as the backing. You could make some of the blocks out of the team fabrics and then make the other blocks using just the team colors. I just happened to have the several different U of M fabrics and I wasn't paying $10-12 per FQ!! If the fabric had been expensive, I wouldn't have made every block out of it!!
    Attached Thumbnails 102_2815.jpg   102_2816.jpg  
    Old 10-16-2012, 02:00 PM

I have some fabric from my favorite MLB team that I have been hoarding for many years. Maybe that will be my retirement fund!

If you don't want to spend an outrageous amount you could just spinkle a few of the team blocks around.
    Old 10-16-2012, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by sewmary
    I have some fabric from my favorite MLB team that I have been hoarding for many years. Maybe that will be my retirement fund!

If you don't want to spend an outrageous amount you could just spinkle a few of the team blocks around.

I like your term "Sprinkle a few of the team blocks around"!!!
    Old 10-16-2012, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by SereneWinter
    I do have one question off the top of my head though, you said 140" of the backing. Does that mean about 4 yards? (since 140" / 30" in a yard = 3.8)
    Yes, that's right. (I assume that's a typo - there are 36" in a yard, not 30. Your calculation is right - 3.9 yards)
    Old 10-16-2012, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by gollytwo
    I assume you're not thinking a bed quilt. 64X72 is a small twin - not a good size for a large man.
    It is for a throw blanket though, not for our bed so I thought it would be a good size. He's a chubby hubby not a tall hubby. *giggles*

Last edited by SereneWinter; 10-16-2012 at 07:56 PM.
    Old 10-16-2012, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by jj1150
    If you can't find/afford the team fabric .... why not just make a quilt using the TEAM COLORS??? That would at least represent *his* fav team!!!

Using flannel as your middle layer would be good, as you can cut it the same size as your front/back blocks, and then ALL the layers rag up nicely.

jody

I actually am putting the team colors in but I know he'd love some of the team fabric itself. I don't mind spending the money as this is going to be a special Christmas gift. I'm really excited to make it for him!

On a side note... How do you gals upload a profile picture? I went to "my profile" at the top and read on other pages to click on avatar but when I go to "my profile" there is NO where that says avatar or picture or anything. Maybe I'm missing something??

Last edited by SereneWinter; 10-16-2012 at 07:56 PM.
    Old 10-16-2012, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn
    I made this rag quilt using University of Michigan cotton fabric on the front and a layer of dark blue flannel as batting and a layer of gold as the backing. You could make some of the blocks out of the team fabrics and then make the other blocks using just the team colors. I just happened to have the several different U of M fabrics and I wasn't paying $10-12 per FQ!! If the fabric had been expensive, I wouldn't have made every block out of it!!
    That is really nice looking!!! Yea since the team fabric is out of print I am going to just use 1 square of that and a variety of 4 other prints/colors that relate to the team or baseball.

Last edited by SereneWinter; 10-16-2012 at 07:55 PM.
    Old 10-17-2012, 03:39 AM

If it is the Cincinnati Bengals, I have a large piece I could send you--it's leftover from a quilt I did and my DH is a Yankee, Knicks, Rangers, Jets fan.

also, do a search online to see if you can find somewhere with yardage instead of fat quarters. And, finally, you can always print the fabric on your own if you only want a few squares. You can buy fabric that is prepared already for an inkjet or you can buy bubble=jet=set. Also, maybe on this site? Someone printed a recipe for homemade (and therefore less expensive) bubble-jet-set.

Laurie
    Old 10-17-2012, 12:38 PM

Yes...which team is it? I might have some in my sports fabric box.
    Old 10-18-2012, 04:54 AM

I must confess that I haven't read every reply here but there is nothing that says you can't use those fq's to best advantage. The blocks don't have to be square. They can be rectangles, too, and use all of that fabric!