Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
help, no pressing cloth for applique >

help, no pressing cloth for applique

help, no pressing cloth for applique

Old 11-21-2010, 07:03 PM

I use parchment paper. Yes, the kind for lining a baking pan.

Evelyn
Old 11-21-2010, 08:36 PM

I think we are talking about two very different items here. The teflon sheet or parchemnt paper is used on top of the ironing board, but under the fusible to keep the fusible from sticking to and ruining the ironing board cover. The pressing cloth is a thin cloth used on top of the fusible when you are ironing it to the block you are working on. When the directions say to use steam to affix the fusible to the block, I use a damp flour sack dish towel. It adds extra steam to adhear the fusible. I have a teflon sheet and I have also used parchment paper and the dollar story oven liner. All work equally well in my opinion.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by madamekelly
Originally Posted by fishnlady
Originally Posted by Marysewfun
Sherry - where did you find that little sleeping bear? - that is absolutely adorable! - What should I use in search to find something that offers the motion type of things like that? Thank you.
Mary

Mary, if you google animated graphics you will find a ton of sites to see these types of graphics. You will need a code to use them on this forum and you can get that by going to www.tinypic.com, upload your graphic you downloaded onto your computer then get the code. Paste the code in here and you got it. Hope this helps
Can you make the instructions, to do this, a little clearer for us dufuses?

I am happy to help but not sure it should intrude on this subject listed. So here goes. I wanted to use graphics like my fish. At first I did not know where or what to look for but through seaching and looking around I found the information I needed. Thanks to a couple of wonderful QB members they helped me too. You can do a search on Google for animated graphics. It will show you all the different sites.
Once you find a graphic you like some have a download button that will let you save it to a file on your computer but if not then right click on the graphic you like and then on save as. Name the graphic what you want to save it as and direct it to go into the new file you made for it. Once it is saved you then go to a site like www.tinypic.com and upload the graphic you saved. Once it uploads it will come up with some codes to be used for different purposes. If anyone needs more help or a list of my favorite sites PM me and I will do what I can to help.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:36 AM

The main reason I use parchment paper is because a lot of my applique is big...OK try huge as in bed size. The teflon sheets also eventually become wrinkled and nasty when used as much as I use them.
Old 11-22-2010, 03:11 PM

i recently made a 'chicken little quilt' which required a lot of heat n bond. i used a large scrap of muslin across the ironing board to help keep the cover clean and used that as the design work surface. i used a sheet of copy paper on top as a pressing cloth and it worked great. just a note..i dug out an old travel iron (small) and was amazed. i will definitely stick to this procedure in future applique applications. just thought i'd share that. the advantage to using copy paper or parchment (a little more expensive) instead of a cloth is that it does not stick to or grab the fabric you are working on.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by SherryLea
If you have some of the all cotton dish cloths, some people came them flor sackcloths that will work perfectly or if you have some muslin that will work.
I use a large men's handkerchief. It's old, it's soft, and he hasn't missed it.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:56 AM

I use a dampened cotton gauze diaper for all my ironing needs and it works wonderful - have never had a problem.
Old 11-25-2010, 08:45 PM
Dee

I use a thick towel and iron on the backside. This will lift the applique. Ironing from the front will flatten the applique. This is what I do.
Old 11-26-2010, 02:20 AM

I bought one of those Teflon sheets you put on your cookie pan to keep the cookies from sticking. You can buy cheap ones at the Christmas Tree shop and maybe Walmart...
Old 11-26-2010, 07:44 AM

I also use the white cotton dish towels. They are relatively inexpensive and I keep two in my sewing drawer just for pressing. They are also great because you can see through them enough to know what you are pressing. Good luck!