Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with an old quilt - ID the design/era? >

Help with an old quilt - ID the design/era?

Help with an old quilt - ID the design/era?

Old 08-01-2014, 05:12 AM

Welcome Adam...this is a great place to learn about quilts and quilting for sure. I have been sewing for years and still learn almost every day. I believe (like others) the fabrics are from the 20's and no later than the 40's. I recognize the green as a shade from the "30's..it can be found today but is only close to the same color. I have a few scraps saved from my grandmother's stash and I take it with me to shop. Darlene Zimmerman has brought back a lot of the patterns for Moda. By the way, that quilt is simply beautiful and a treasure to own. Happy sewing.
Old 08-01-2014, 06:04 AM

Welcome to the Board. You will love it here. I have learned so much from the folks on this Board.

I love the beautiful quilt you posted a picture of. What a treasure.
Old 08-02-2014, 05:12 AM

What a beautiful old Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt! Lucky you!! Going only by the green and yellow, I'm going with the 40's. I don't think it's much older than that, but I could be wrong. Photo colors can be tricky! Reds are a bit easier to pin down, but still... those greens were mostly in the 40's if I'm seeing what I think I am. Gorgeous find! Glad your family kept them intact for you!
Old 08-02-2014, 05:44 AM

Lovely quilt and lucky you to have it. The green fabric looks like the 30's. Welcome to the board!
Old 08-02-2014, 06:49 AM

LOL, I was intrigues by the 'mystery quilt", what a great surprise, I am slowly working on my own Grandmothers Flower Garden. Welcome from AZ. Please show more quilts. It will probably be easier to keep track if you started a new thread for each quilt. With as many pictures as reasonable. We love the full quilt pictures. I have found hanging them outside in the morning sun makes the clearest pictures but on a bed is also very nice. Close-up are always good.
Old 08-02-2014, 07:03 AM

I'm a quilting newbie, so can't offer any help on dating the quilt fabric, but had to respond when I saw Floyd County, and especially Charles City, in your post. My husband's relatives (the Peter's) live and farm in Calwell.
Welcome to the board, you will find so much willing help here.
Old 08-02-2014, 07:04 AM

Location: On the banks of the Ohio river in Almost Heaven West Virginia!!!!

Just recently Eleanor Burns did an entire show on these quilts... Very interesting... Pretty sure these were made out of feed sacks... BEAUTIFUL!!! (see if you can watch on her site...)
Old 08-02-2014, 03:38 PM

It is Grandmother's Flower Garden. Hexies are all the rage now and you can Google that name and find 5 million, give or take a few, pictures of them. My guess is that the quilt was made in the late 1930's or early 1940's because my mother had a quilt using blue, white and yellow fabrics with a similar print about the time I was born. And welcome to the world of quilting. The president of our quilt guild is a very talented man who teaches a particular version of an art quilt at guilds all over north Texas. froggyintexas
Old 08-02-2014, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Quilt30 View Post
Most likely 1930's
Agree. That mint green was all the rage then, and the pattern dates to the same time.
Old 08-02-2014, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy View Post
Agree. That mint green was all the rage then, and the pattern dates to the same time.

One thing to remember is that a quilt is dated from it's most recent fabric. Check out Barbara Barrickman's book on dating quilts/fabrics (can't think of the name)--your library probably can help you. Also, local quilt shops and quilt shows sometimes will feature appraisers. They would be able to give you detailed info on each quilt. But before you do that have your Mom or other relatives WRITE down all the information you can gather.