Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with paper piecing pattern >

Help with paper piecing pattern

Help with paper piecing pattern

Old 03-30-2016, 06:58 AM
Power Poster

I made a small 6 inch sunbonnet sue paper pieced pattern into templates with seam allowances. worked fine. there were some very small pieces in her bonnet and bow but still worked.
Attached Thumbnails sue-meets-railfence.jpg  

Last edited by nativetexan; 03-30-2016 at 07:00 AM.
Old 03-30-2016, 07:15 AM

Thank you everyone-I don't know how to put a picture of anything on QB. I would love to learn and am very close to hiring a computer guru to come to my house and work with me on many things I need to know about this computer. Anyway-the pattern is "Houston Stars" designed by Shawn York. Her website is RustyCrowQuiltShop.com. I love her fabric and her patterns. This particular pattern uses alot of scraps and just caught my eye. I think I will try some of the tricks that you members suggested and see if that works. Wish me luck!!
Old 03-30-2016, 07:30 AM
Power Poster

I wouldn't even bother making templates for that pattern. It is a simple wonky star. You are correct it is a great way to use up a lot of scraps and odds and ends. This is the kind of pattern where it is fun to just fly by the seat of your pants. MSQC has a you tube video on wonky stars and there are also many blog tutes on it. All that you really need to keep in mind is the units with your star points, which look to be squares, are uniform in size.

Here are links to some tutes

http://janesfabrics.blogspot.com/p/wonky-star.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMoE5-q1lP4
http://www.sewmamasew.com/2013/01/wo...lock-tutorial/
Old 03-30-2016, 10:41 PM

Each piece needs to be traced and seam allowance added to make a cutting template. If you are hand piecing, you can make templates the finished size to draw your stitching lines on the fabric. That will be more accurate with small pieces than machine piecing.
Old 03-31-2016, 04:30 AM

What feline said....looks simple enough to just wing.... 9 patch center and wonky points or tri rec template would make all the same....don't even need to pp that pattern - imho
Old 03-31-2016, 06:57 AM

Thank you feline for the links. I loved the MSQC way of doing the tutorial. I think it is best to do the wonky stars first then adjust the 9 patch in the middle which is so easy to do. I knew you wonderful QB members would come thru for me. I have to go and check my quilting tools as I am sure I had purchased (not too long ago) a tool that made wonky stars. Think the tool was when I went to a Marti Michell demo and she was making WS with a tool. Will have to go searching. Once again thank you so much everyone.
Old 03-31-2016, 07:44 AM
Power Poster

Although you may not have tried paper piecing as yet, I would not hesitate to try it. Not only will it add another skill level to your quilting journey, you will find that the accuracy and use of very small pieces of fabric will make you happy with the results. I once did a PP pattern with 4" blocks and the accuracy was amazing. Try Carol Doak's website, I have taken classes with her in person and on Craftsy and she has been called "The Queen of Paper Piecing", which is justified as she has a wealth of knowledge in PP. You can also purchase one of her books on PP, which I think give very good directions. Let us know what you decide to do.
Old 03-31-2016, 01:12 PM

Once you know how to paper piece it is so easy and you get such exact piecing. I wouldn't attempt most paper piecing patters by using a template because the the sharp points and small pieces that you can only accomplish with paper piecing.
Old 03-31-2016, 06:36 PM

Bonnie Hunter also has a wonky stars pattern.
Old 04-01-2016, 06:43 AM
Gay

I doubt if just Wonky Stars will do if this is the correct one.

http://quayquilter.blogspot.com.au/2...1_archive.html

oops! I think this one was designed by someone else - but I like it.

Last edited by Gay; 04-01-2016 at 07:01 AM. Reason: my mistake